Dry pads

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
KatyM

Dry pads

Post by KatyM » 20 Jul 2016, 14:45

Winnie's feet pads are very dry. Her front left is peeling a little, it looks like a blister. I wondered if there was anything I could put on it or add to her diet to help.

annvinton

Re: Dry pads

Post by annvinton » 21 Jul 2016, 08:10

Yumega oil helps with dry skin ........... not sure about pads.

You can get wax for their pads, Mushers Secret is one you can use for snow or hot pavements. Coconut oil or "bag balm" ??

If they are really sore you can get boots for them to wear when walking on gravel etc.

Hope they soon get better,
Ann & Ben

ImageImage

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 21 Jul 2016, 10:03

Poor Winnie :( I wonder, are her pads sore because the pavements are hot? Or does she often have sore pads? Some dogs get sore pads because they lick their paws a lot( we had a spaniel with this problem) Sometimes they lick because they have a barb of grass between their toes. Even after you remove the grass/stone/ whatever they still lick. This obsessive foot licking can dry out the skin. You can try Vaseline but frankly whatever you put on they will lick it off( yum!!) I think it's important to wash their feet in plain water after every walk, not because I'm house proud but because washing gets rid of grasses etc( and it's good to check paws daily) A friend of ours gives his dogs Oil of evening primrose for their skin, but I don't know if that's an option. Anny

Brooks13

Post by Brooks13 » 21 Jul 2016, 12:40

I use Aloe Vera gel on everything from doggy paw pads to children's knee scrapes to after sun. It really works.

KatyM

Post by KatyM » 21 Jul 2016, 14:37

I'm sure it's not from hot pavements as we have been walking her first thing and last thing in the day to avoid hot pavements. One path we walk does have some broken, although well trodden down, glass on it. I wondered if a bit of that had cut her pad but regardless they are rough and dry. She doesn't seem to lick them a lot and I always check her pads for seeds etc stuck. I think I will get some sort of moisturiser for them.