Poo

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Bertiesmom

Poo

Post by Bertiesmom » 25 Aug 2016, 16:03

I have Bertie a 4yr old standard F1 labradoodle. Hes healthy with a good weight. About 2 yrs ago he was plagued with chronic ear infections, smelly runny poos and occasional vomiting. The vet decided he had allergies but not sure what and recommended prescription dog food. There was a slight improvement but not much. A friend recommended Millies wolfheart and we changed to that. He has improved in leaps and bounds no ear infections since, no vomiting and his poo has become firm and much less smelly. When we go to the park Bertie can run around for 2 hrs and never poo until we are ready to leave just one poo. In the last 2 weeks, he has been squeaking on squatting and doing at least 3 - 5 poos they range from very bulky and firm at first to quite soft last poo. This is a complete change in bowel habits although no change in food habits. He appears healthy and well and just as lively as ever. Should I worry about this? where is he storing all this poo?

stout

Re: Poo

Post by stout » 25 Aug 2016, 21:04

Aahh poor Bertie.

Stout has had belly problems. He now has premixed raw food and doesnt seem to be able to eat any dry food. When his tum was bad he used to throw up a lot and do lots of runny poos.

He now does three or so poos at the park in the morning and one in the evening. His poos are hard and not very smelly. They start hard and get softer when he has lots of exercise or is excited.

When stout was really poorly his poo was slimy and grey in colour, which was an indication that his intestines were irritated and he wasn't absorbing the prescription food properly. Chris did a doggy nutrition course when stout was ill, he also learnt that if they are absorbing more nutrients they have less left over food to poo out. If the bowel is irritated then the food is moved quicker through the bowel and nutrients are left unabsorbed.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Bertiesmom

Post by Bertiesmom » 25 Aug 2016, 22:10

Thank you for that, I feel a bit better now that I know its not just Bertie. He is lively enough he doesnt appear to be poorly, just going to the loo lots more than usual. He always had grey slimy very offensive poo before we changed his food. I dont think I will change his food or make any changes at the moment and just see what happens.

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 26 Aug 2016, 11:14

Here's a thought. At around 2, when fully grown, they actually start to need less food. You might find if you reduce what goes in, less will come out. This was our experience. Anny

Bertiesmom

Post by Bertiesmom » 26 Aug 2016, 16:52

Thank you for your advice its much appreciated x

Bid

Post by Bid » 26 Aug 2016, 17:29

What sort of treats do you give him? Have they changed at all?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Bertiesmom

Post by Bertiesmom » 27 Aug 2016, 00:32

no nothings changed, he has the odd venison strip or fish skin ( both very stinky). Today tho his bowels have been almost back to normal so I have no clue to what was going on.

Happy national dog day