including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 04:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone used Nutracalm?
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 19:31 

Dude had a nasty scare a few weeks ago when we were walking through the village. A woman in a Landrover reversed into a parked moped and knocked the moped onto the pavement in front of us and the helmet bounced our way. As you may recall,Dude startles easily and it was all I could do to hold onto him!
Since then he is completely “On strike” as regards walking in the village. He won’t even venture out of the gate! He is fine about going in the car to the beach or pretty much anywhere else.
He has generally been more reactive since he was neutered(as we knew could happen) He is more likely to bark at other dogs etc. However, the benefits of very good recall and no more jumping over the wall in search of the girls were worth it-I think.
So, we thought wed ask the vet for some possible solutions. His first idea was “we could try antidepressants “ You can imagine how we felt about that. Then he said we could try Nutracalm. I’ve bought some, as it’s a natural product. I will give it a go but wodered if anyone on here has tried it? It might get him to come out with us!
Needless to say we have tried exciting treats to lure him out. And we’ve tried driving to the edge of the village and walking him home,but he sussed us out!!! Any thoughts? Anny

Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nutracalm?
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 12:11 

Hi Anny
Poor Dude - I remember when Kobi was much younger we were out walking when a black plastic bin bag blew into us and he really freaked out, rearing up and almost pulling me over and for ages after he would always refuse to walk that route. We had to gradually keep going to the area and when we knew he was approaching his 'panic zone' we would turn round treat and walk another way. Each journey taking us a little more further till he eventually would pass the area but still you could sense he was on full alert. Anyway to your question :lol: - Jazz has always had a fear of loud noise's especially fireworks so over the years we have tried almost everything. I did use the Nutracalm last year but also used a product called pet remedy which is a natural product you spray onto bedding, bandanas etc. It does say if out walking you can spray onto your trouser leg and if you put a little on your hand you can massage onto the top of the dogs chest. Although she still barked and whimpered she wasn't as bad as previous years so it maybe worth a try. Warning it is a bit 'whiffy' I didn't mind it but hubby thought it was terrible :roll: Good luck

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 13:00 

Thankyou so much. It's good to hear I'm not the only one with a highly strung doodle! As you say, it's not easy holding onto a 30kg panicking pooch!
We've started the weeks course of Nutracalm today, so no changes yet. As soon as I got my coat on he went on strike , as has become the norm. But when he realised we were going in the car to the beach he leapt in the boot! I think it's a case of being patient and trying not to get stressed. I will certainly order some of the pet remedy- I don't mind being smelly if it helps Dude :lol:

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 21:24 

Anny, how’s Dude doing? How are you doing? :wink: Not heard of Nutracalm and we’ve tried loads of things.
About walking in the village what if you simply didn’t for quite some time. Know it’s a pain to get in car...
If it helps I totally get where you and Dude are at. For +2yrs missy won’t turn left out our property. No idea why ( left is the road we walked down for years before) Similarly for long time turning right and down to the x roads she won’t turn right ther until suddenly two days before Christmas she said come on let’s go right :shock: Off we went (always when not much time to hand but I thought not missing this opportunity ) It was my Christmas gift and best thing too :) Off we went down the road along the field and river. Since then she won’t turn right or if she does 200m max and the brakes come on. I used to wring my hands, question myself endlessly as to what signal I had overlooked, what trigger.Been told to ‘just walk’ she will eventually follow or been told to hold the leash and drag her.!!..errrI don’t think so. I’d get the most high value treats, sit on the side for eons with her etc etc. Now I shrug my shoulders and say ok we go the other way. The relief on her face is noticeable.She now gives what I call a ‘thanks’ for listening’ she looks at me, tail wag and slightest of nose nudge on my leg as we go the other way. I’ll stop there before you think I’m totally barmy!

BTW I used to think we must walk everyday, well says who? So now if she doesn’t want to go for a walk at all, I say fine we go another day.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 13:29 

Thankyou Pollydoodle
You SO get our Dude :wink: We have concluded that Nutracalm does nothing at all so no more of that for D.
A very good friend hit on a new approach to get D out though,which has,generally, helped : I go out first,Paul and Dude follow, keeping me in sight. I then wait for them to catch up :roll: This means we both have to accompany Dude, but it’s progress. We bumped into some people today who thought we had moved,as they hadn’t seen us since before Christmas! We’ve only been here since Nov 2017, but Dude already has a solid fan base!
Mind you the next step may well take us some time, I’m hopeful he will eventually want to go for walks with just me around the village( as he always used to) but when he goes on strike ( and I mean lying down)there’s no budging him. He is just like Missy,giving me a real look of relief when I understand what he’s asking. I know some people say I should pull him along or “be brisk and just GO”but they really have no idea at all :roll:
Meanwhile Dude gets beach and coast path walks when we go out in the car, not to mention ball sessions in the garden. But actually you make a good point, there are days when maybe he just doesn’t want or need to go out,we all have days like that!
Your message has really helped. I love this forum. Anny