including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 19:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Again i'm back about Seizures
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 11:15 

Hello all
I need some advice regarding seizures in my lovely boy Doogle as he seems to be having more, in fact three over a period of three weeks or so.
Took him to the Vet and he's taken more blood samples just waiting for the last two results to come back- meanwhile we have no meds to control these which i'm disappointed about as he could have more bouts.
I questioned this and was advised that a number of things could be the cause , so the next step would be a brain scan which I've not read anyone else mentioning so extreme a procedure.

As he has a history of past fits albeit months apart, and I know some of your Vets have prescribed medication to control this condition , I'm somewhat at a loss to understand why my Vet won't help even with a mild medication to help my boy.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sue

Post subject: Re: Again i'm back about Seizures
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 17:15 

:( So sorry to read that Doogle is still fitting .... I don't have experience with epilepsy but wondered if Dorwest herbs scullcap & valarian tablets might help!
From puppyhood Jethro suffered really badly with motion sickness...it really was bad .
In desperation I bought the tablets from Dorwest herbs and amazingly they worked.
The reason I'm making this recommendation is that on Dorwest feedback page I read several posts about how Scullcap and Valarian was reducing the number of fits experienced by epileptic dogs.....
Do have a look for yourself....it has to be worth a try.?
Linny.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 06:52 

Sorry to read this. My dog was diagnosed with epilepsy 7 years ago, my first advice would be to find a new vet. If your dog is having this many seizures he definitely needs medication. If you google epileptic kindling you will see that once a dog starts having regular seizures, the brain learns to have seizures, so the more it has, the more it will go on to have. I am also amazed that he's not given you any rectal diazepam to give when the dog has a seizure, to stop him having any more.

We didn't have a brain scan on our dog, once he started having more than one seizure a month he was put onto medication.

I would also video the seizure to show your vet. My dog was seriously ill last year and I happened to video a seizure and show it to him, he passed this onto a neurologist and my dog was diagnosed with canine paroxysmal dyskinesia alongside his epilepsy. The CPD isn't nearly as dangerous as epilepsy, as it can't do the dog the damage that epileptic seizures do, it just scares him, now I just have to work out which is a CPD seizures and which is epilepsy!

Once your dog does start on medication he will be a bit wobbly for about 2 weeks, but stick with it, it's horrible, but it will pass.

Please feel free to message me if I can help in any way.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 11:27 

Thank you Linny and Wendy for your replies

We do have Rectal Diazepam which I use when he has a seizure, however it's not stopping them. I've read up on the types of medication being used and I can't see why they won't trial him on maybe a mild form to see what the results may be.

I'm just waiting for the last Lab results to come back and then I will seek another Vet who will help my boy and also will look up the product mentioned too.

Thanks again

Sue

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 18:28 

Any news yet?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 13:03 

Hi Wendy

The lab results for Doogle have all come back negative and the Vet rang to say if he has another episode she will consider medication now with Phenobarbital in some form and he will have to be closely monitored . The brain scan issue was to determine any Tumours , however, I would not put my boy through any kind of surgery of that nature if it was found , which is a slim chance and I will see how this goes with meds.
I also am going to try the Scullcap & Valerian tabs in the meantime which she says will do him no harm and just might help with the frequency of the seizures - who knows ?

Sue.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019, 12:24 

Hi Sue,
Just wanted to wish you and Doogle well - such a worry when our furkids are not well. Fingers crossed the Scullcap & Valerian help. Take care xx