spaying advice please

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Trudi

spaying advice please

Post by Trudi » 17 Sep 2007, 12:19

Hi all Doodle lovers

can you point me in the right direction of some previous posts on spaying or give your advice please :roll:

As much as I would love to mate Lexi in the near future my hubby keeps on pointing out to me that there are enough unwanted dogs and cats in this world and the more I think about it I know its true so therefore have decided to spay Lexi but after reading in my book I should let her have her first season before she's spayed !!! Is this correct ?? :?

Carole g

Re: spaying advice please

Post by Carole g » 17 Sep 2007, 13:47

12 weeks after the first day of season is the optimum time to spey. I would always recommend that bitches have their first season in order to prevent continued juvenile behaviour and to allow the sex hormones to regulate growth as they are meant to into early adulthood.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

amber

Post by amber » 17 Sep 2007, 13:55

Seems like good advice to me. Also I was told that after the first season the vulva increases in size, and in larger dogs this helps to limit infection. Do you know anything about this Carole?
Amber

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 17 Sep 2007, 14:14

Not specifically but the opposite is true that too early neutering before the vulva is properly developed can cause a variety of health problems including dermatitis. These problems are well researched.

Lizzy doodle

Post by Lizzy doodle » 18 Sep 2007, 13:16

Does anyone know what the typical gap between first and second season is (sorry useless at Biology!)

joanpoke

Post by joanpoke » 19 Sep 2007, 10:03

Mia is usually months.

Jo

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 19 Sep 2007, 11:45

Most bitches cycle every six to seven months.

But some don't. So I would suggest you let your bitch have two seasons and then you can be sure you're spaying exactly mid-way between the second and the third.

That might be 12 weeks, but then again, it might not. What it will be of course, is right for your dog.
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 20 Sep 2007, 19:11

Bitches usually have seasons that are not completely regular, but 12 weeks from the first day of season is a safe indicator of "anoestrus" (no heat)the term used to describe the safe period between seasons when there is no activity of the ovaries and it is safest to spey. Anoestrus typically starts about 10 weeks after the first day and continues a varied number of weeks until the "prooestrus" (before heat) starts the development of fertility that culminates in full season (the oestrus/heat). The length of anoestrus is not all that relevant to speying as it is rarely less than 1 month and typically 5 months, the only safe indicator is how long ago was the last season.
On a slightly different topic, bitches that have had a litter should really not be speyed before they have the next season as it is very difficult to assess the correct time. I would always wait for the post litter season and then count 12 weeks after the first day.
Of course medical emergencies can force the vet's hand to spey at any time but normally we can pick the safest time. Bitches usually survive the emergency operation but excess bleeding can be a real problem.

Juliette

Post by Juliette » 20 Sep 2007, 21:17

Carole g wrote:Bitches usually have seasons that are not completely regular, but 12 weeks from the first day of season is a safe indicator of "anoestrus" (no heat)the term used to describe the safe period between seasons when there is no activity of the ovaries and it is safest to spey. Anoestrus typically starts about 10 weeks after the first day and continues a varied number of weeks until the "prooestrus" (before heat) starts the development of fertility that culminates in full season (the oestrus/heat). The length of anoestrus is not all that relevant to speying as it is rarely less than 1 month and typically 5 months, the only safe indicator is how long ago was the last season.
On a slightly different topic, bitches that have had a litter should really not be speyed before they have the next season as it is very difficult to assess the correct time. I would always wait for the post litter season and then count 12 weeks after the first day.
Of course medical emergencies can force the vet's hand to spey at any time but normally we can pick the safest time. Bitches usually survive the emergency operation but excess bleeding can be a real problem.
But what if your dog has an irregular cycle - say every three months, as a friend's dog did. You'd then be spaying just as the dog was coming into season if you booked her in 12 weeks after her first season wouldn't you? Is there a problem with leaving a dog intact until she is say 2 years old?

What is the correct term ... spey or spay?

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 20 Sep 2007, 21:40

I'm old fashioned and the vets always spelled it with an e when I was young, and my current vet still does, as did his predecessor.
It is not 3 months after the first season at all but 12 weeks after day 1.
I have no problem with leaving bitches entire but many owners will not do so.
When are we going to have a picture of Mr Socks? Who is the lovely horse in the avatar, is it one you trained yourself or just a picture you liked?

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 20 Sep 2007, 22:08

I was looking at a site and then realised it was American...it said good breeders will neuter/spay pups before you get them...how can that be healthy? :shock:

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 20 Sep 2007, 22:22

Its a practice done for the good of the business or to fulfill contractual obligations, surgeries performing Early Spey Neutering for some breeders are refusing to neuter the dogs of the general public under 6 months old as it is not in their interest. Clearly unethical double standards.

Juliette

Post by Juliette » 21 Sep 2007, 13:02

The horse is called Winchester, he's my last baby, an ex-(failed)-racehorse, but now a confident Happy-Hacker owned by a horse-mad teenager who is hoping to start RC activities on. I'm in the process of looking for another "project" at the moment, though I'll probably wait until after Christmas unless something suitable (needs lots of work and not too expensive) comes up in the meantime.

I haven't really got any good pictures of Mr Socks to put up here - he always looks like an unmade bed and is usually covered in shavings! Everyone else's dogs look so clean and well groomed! :oops:

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 21 Sep 2007, 13:24

Our vet said 10 - 12 weeks from the first season which takes Charlie to early October... however with everything that is happening at the moment with my health etc. we have decided to let Charlie have her second season and then have her speyed.... I asked if it was an option to push the 10-12 weeks but the vet advised not to do this and to let Charlie have another season would not hurt her at all...

Hopefully we have been advised right??? The cost we were quoted was £175..

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 21 Sep 2007, 13:53

Your vet is absolutely right, it wont hurt her at all to grow up properly, dont go longer than 13 weeks or less than 11 from Day 1 when you first see bleeding. Its easier for most people to judge from then than from the end of the season which is not so clearly defined. The vet should examine the bitch, prior to speying, to check that everything is back to normal anyway. The charge isnt far off the norm, some parts of the country are cheaper, some are probably more expensive.