How long do you leave them?

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
glenis

How long do you leave them?

Post by glenis » 17 Sep 2007, 13:16

Hi

I was wondering how long do people leave their dogs for during the week. We always go back during the day to let them out but I was hoping to leave them a bit longer now they are older. What do other people do???

Glen

Anne

Re: How long do you leave them?

Post by Anne » 17 Sep 2007, 13:21

I think 4hrs has been the longest we have ever left Duff.He never misbehaves when we,re out but as soon as we,re home then the fun and games begin :lol:

amber

Post by amber » 17 Sep 2007, 14:00

I know its not easy with work commitments, but I wouldv'e thought no more than 3-4 hours, and hopefully not every day.
Doods and other dogs really want our company
:D Amber

KateW

Post by KateW » 17 Sep 2007, 14:33

Rufus is rarely left entirely alone in the day for longer than an hour.We have been out in the evening without him but go late and come back early-about three hours.He has always been fine as he has had his walk,games,dinner etc. so would normally be having a sleep anyway.

Katherine
ImageImage

amber

Post by amber » 17 Sep 2007, 15:09

Tbh
I think the less time the better
Ours usually come out as much as poss with us. It is unfair to leave a dog too long. And pups even less.

Ali Cat

Post by Ali Cat » 17 Sep 2007, 16:14

Eric is on his own in the mornings only - can be anything from 1-4 hours. However we did go out saturday and didn't get in until 1am. So that was 6 hours. He was fine. He had plenty of walks and excercise that day so probably took advantage of the empty house to have a kip. We always leave the telly on - partly for company and partly so that he doesn't bark every time he hears something outside!!

He did get to share our kebab tho - so its not just us humans who have the urge for a kebab at 1am after a skinful!!

Thing is, Eric is now in a routine. Glenn goes to work early in the morning but takes him out for a quick widdle before he goes. I then get up, he has a nose around in the back garden whilst I sort the cats and rabbits then we go out for a walk (6.30-7am), he then has his breakfast and I go to work. Glenn then comes home 10ish, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. Walk with Glenn in afternoon then waits for me to get home at 6ish.

He is never any trouble if we stick to that routine. If I go to work and then have to come back minutes later coz I've forgotten something then all hell breaks loose. I'm sure he thinks its 6pm so therefore all time after that belongs to him!! :lol:

I didn't want to leave him on his own sat night but OH, quite rightly, says we are not going to run our life around the dog. One night on his own was not unreasonable. Reckon Eric would be OK with every night if we brought a kebab back for him each time :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205 ... t/Eric.jpg

Laughter is the best medicine – unless you’re diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list

Juliette

Post by Juliette » 17 Sep 2007, 16:44

I found this on the web, I think it answers your question perfectly ! :D

10 Canine Commandments

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful to me. Remember that before you buy me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
3. Place your trust in me. It’s crucial to my well-being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have you.
5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand your voice when it’s speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I’ll never forget it.
7. Remember before you hit me: I have teeth that could easily crush the bones of your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being un-cooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food, or I’ve been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old.
10. Go with me on that final difficult journey. Never say: “I can’t bear to watch it”, or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there. REMEMBER THAT I LOVE YOU.

Bella

Post by Bella » 17 Sep 2007, 17:24

10. Go with me on that final difficult journey. Never say: “I can’t bear to watch it”, or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there. REMEMBER THAT I LOVE YOU
That one has brought tears to my eyes. For 20 years I thought if my dog ever had to be put down I could never be there. I was looking at it selfishly. It wasn't about me, it was about him. that last 10 minutes and doing one last thing to say a final thank you for 20 wonderful years. Turns out when the day did come, very suddenly, no-one could have kept me from being with him.

amber

Post by amber » 17 Sep 2007, 19:14

Oh, Bless.
You're right it is about them, but so awful to lose them
Amber

Deb R

Post by Deb R » 17 Sep 2007, 19:55

i agree. I was there when I had Cassie put to sleep, it was the last thing I could do for her, and I am glad I was, would never of forgive myself if I had not been there.

Deb R
Image Image

amber

Post by amber » 17 Sep 2007, 21:00

Deb
Was it very long ago? :cry:
Amber

glenis

Post by glenis » 18 Sep 2007, 10:00

Hi

I love the poem, have you all seen the article on the off topic site reference 'May I go now' You will need your hankies at the ready

Glen