constipation !!!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
archie bailey

constipation !!!

Post by archie bailey » 24 Oct 2007, 15:36

hi,
Archie seems a bit constipated at the momemt - he struggled with his no. 2's this morning and have just had to soak off a load of poo stuck to his bum! (sorry if too much info!) someone suggested a bit of orange juice in his water is this ok or any other suggestions
thanks !!

Fizzy's mum

Re: constipation !!!

Post by Fizzy's mum » 24 Oct 2007, 15:45

Golly!

Never had the joy of dealing with this prob! I know they say orange juice for babies... but not sure dogs would fancy trying it! Don't think they go for citrus flavours!

I know with my dog cooked meat tit bits make her a bit loose... maybe you could try something that you know upsets his tummy slightly ( in moderation!).

Good luck!

Lucy

debs43

Post by debs43 » 24 Oct 2007, 16:11

dont want to alarm you but could your dood have eaten something he shouldnt have, when zigs ate a stone this was the first sign i had that something might be lodged, he was the same struggling with poos and bits stuck, he was his usual bouncy self, when i took him to the vet they scanned him and he had a stone stuck, had to operate, if i was you keep an eye on him, it may be worth a phone call to the vets for reassurance, hope hes ok

annemc

Post by annemc » 24 Oct 2007, 16:15

Hi

Ruby eats lots of the garden (when we're not looking) especially twigs and this is a problem we have had many times!! Like you, I've had the vile task of having to use a warm cloth to remove lumps of `yuk' that is stuck half in half out (too much information I know!!). She's always absolutely fine as soon as I've `helped her' (although I usually feel sick!) :roll:

amber

Post by amber » 24 Oct 2007, 17:01

Hi
I know the caked on poo stuck hard on bum, scenario, But i don't think its constipation. It may have looked like he was struggling to go because of the blocked up problem at the back end.
I would advise, clean him up, and then check the next time he goes what it is like then. They usually get the blocked area, because they have had soft stools rather than constipated. Keep us informed :?

frosty

Post by frosty » 24 Oct 2007, 18:51

A good dose of olive oil or flax seed oil usually does the trick.

If it happens continually then you need to get him checked out.

Have I just recently read that you have changed his food :? :?
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."

amber

Post by amber » 24 Oct 2007, 19:07

Lol, just teasing.
Lainey, i hope you didn't take bets :lol: :wink:
Amber.

archie bailey

Post by archie bailey » 25 Oct 2007, 20:28

thanks everyone for your help - Archie seems fine now, poos are back to normal !!! at least i know what to do now if he does get constipated !!