Collitis, feeding chicken and rice, normal food, when/how?

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Pippin

Collitis, feeding chicken and rice, normal food, when/how?

Post by Pippin » 04 Nov 2007, 22:59

Pippin was diagnosed with Collitis at her check-up at the vet on Thursday, we knew she had loose poos and were becoming increasingly concerned at the presence of blood/mucus. She has been on an antibiotic and a probiotic and diet of rice and chicken (she is costing more than us to feed at the moment :roll: :lol: ). Today the poos have regained form and no longer have blood/mucus, how/when do I get her back onto her puppy food? Should I start mixing a little in with her rice/chicken? She will be back at the vet either Monday or Tuesday, will the vet expect her still to be on the rice/chicken diet or is it up to us to get her back onto her regular food?

Any help/info appreciated.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

Judy Shelton

Re: Collitis, feeding chicken and rice, normal food, when/how?

Post by Judy Shelton » 04 Nov 2007, 23:15

Hi, Pippin, I'm not an expert. but I would keep her diet quite light until she sees the vet.

Best wishes,
judy :mrgreen:

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 04 Nov 2007, 23:53

Thanks Judy, you are right I will wait until she sees the vet. Her appetite has really picked up and she has been eating a whole chicken breast at every meal (bear in mind I've never had a dog before and really don't know if this is a horrendous amount for her to be eating) and a fair amount of rice, four times a day. I've been buying ready cooked chicken and vaccum packed rice for ease, although still thoroughly heating through the chicken and rice then cooling it for her. Here's hoping the vet gives the go ahead for normal food again!
ImageImage

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 05 Nov 2007, 07:58

What normal food is she fed on? One of mine Penny cannot have wheat so therefore needs to be on a wheat gluten free diet, if she has wheat she also gets colitis

cheryl-frampton

Post by cheryl-frampton » 05 Nov 2007, 10:14

Hi, Are you using normal chicken from supermarkets? if you are then have a look in Pets at Home as they have big bags on minced chicken for around £3.50. Depending on Pippins size I would say 2 bags will be enough for 1 week, then add in your tesco/Sainsbury budget rice.
They also do big bags of beef and small packs of white fish which is enough for 1 day at 66p.
Bentley suffered like Pippin and everytime we started introducing his other food he would have horrible poos again.
I also buy a pot of Onken Bio yoghurt and put in a small tea spoon full in each meal.
It seems a pain but am a worryier so will do anything to make sure he is a happy boy.
Hope all goes well.
Cheryl

tanya

Post by tanya » 05 Nov 2007, 11:40

hi bobby had lots of problems for a while and was also diagnosed as having collitis. i now feed him on gluten free, and he's been absolutely fine.

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 05 Nov 2007, 15:23

Thanks for the responses, we don't have a Pets at Home here unfortunately however I am going this afternoon to have a look round Dobbies Garden Centre which has a big pets section and see if they have the chicken mentioned, that's a great idea, I have been using supermarket chicken (precooked chicken breast for ease), I have realised today that I have done something dim with the probiotic/prebiotic prescribed by the vet and she hasn't actually been getting any of the probiotic/prebiotic so that has been sorted out today and the poos seem to have stopped.

I can't remember the name of her food but it isn't a well known brand and not something I have seen in any of the shops/supermarkets here, it is however gluten free. I am going to have a look today for either Burns or James Wellbread after reading about them on this site, if I can buy either locally we'll give them a try once she is better.
ImageImage

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 05 Nov 2007, 17:04

I have been for a drive around our local pet shops and can't find any that sell chicken etc the way Pets @ Home do, however James Wellbeloved seems quite readily available so I have bought a small bag to try. I saw the brand of food that she was having at the breeder, it was Burgess and was very cheap in comparison to James Wellbeloved.
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Nov 2007, 20:11

Hi there, If you can't get Burns locally, they will deliver to you.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday » 05 Nov 2007, 20:53

Not just P@Home that sell pet minced chicken,our local pet shop stocks it. Its called Prize choice,if you use the link you might be able to find somewhere local to you

http://prizechoice.co.uk/stockists/

Ruby also had Burgess Supa puppy food from Pam which I didnt like, it didnt do her any harm but didnt seem good quality, I changed Ruby to Prize choice and Nature's diet.
Julie, Ruby & Raven
ImageImage

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 06 Nov 2007, 17:52

Arrgh! Wrote a big reply and then managed to lose it! I need to dash so the shortened version is that Pippin is still having problems even although things appeared to be better yesterday so seems as bad as ever again and has been prescribed a different antibiotic that apparently tastes yuck. I am wary about relying on a dog food that I can only get mail order as I am very disorganised and sure to end up running out, I noticed today that the vet sells James Wellbeloved which is handy.

RubyTuesday, thanks for that link there is a place fairly near me that sells it so if the chicken/rice scenario continues past Saturday (next trip to the vet) I will definitely go and get some as this is getting pretty expensive.
ImageImage

Donna

Post by Donna » 06 Nov 2007, 21:13

We had similar stomach problems with Poppy when we first got her, things would improve all the time we were feeding her chicken and rice but as soon as we tried to re-introduce the dried food, we went back to square one. She now has Prize Choice meats, a small amount of mixer biscuits and pulped raw veg and is absolutely fine. We were also advised to give her a couple of spoonfuls of organic bio yoghurt, which is really good for the stomach.
I hope things soon improve for Pippin.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 06 Nov 2007, 22:29

Mac was the same but his tum is much better now (6mths) i settled for Burns and Nature Diet who are great about sending out the food. If you ask they might just do a repeat order for you and work out how much you need. Only takes a couple of days to come though after ordering.

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 06 Nov 2007, 23:42

Thanks, I'll try the James Wellbeloved first (if we ever get away from chicken and rice :mrgreen: ) and if that doesn't suit her we'll give the mail order dog foods a go.

Started the new antibiotics tonight and they must taste disgusting as she ran around like she was trying to get away from her own tongue and didn't like me much for a few seconds after :cry: .
ImageImage

barneydood

Post by barneydood » 09 Nov 2007, 20:00

How's pippin now? Today Molly has the same symptoms - runny, mucasy and bloody poos!!!! do you think it could be the same thing as pippin had? getting really worried!!!! :(
Image Image