Oscar wont eat from his bowl

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
hitthebongo

Oscar wont eat from his bowl

Post by hitthebongo » 15 Mar 2008, 20:45

As daft as it sounds Oscar hardly eats anything from his bowl. We have to constantly encourage him, tell him he's a good boy etc. We use the same bowl that he came with. He was fed a bowl of Iams once a day at teatime with his old owner and nothing else. We have gradually put meat in with his dry food and introduced him to cows ears, meaty bones and the like.

Although he's a great big 'hunk of burning love' :shock: he can also be quite timid. Am I worring for nothing or is there summat we can do :roll:
look at me ! im ted .

AnnaCostaire

Re: Oscar wont eat from his bowl

Post by AnnaCostaire » 15 Mar 2008, 21:09

Is the bowl on the floor? I know I have said this before, and not everyone agrees, but a large dog can get uncomfortable in the area where the neck joins their shoulders/back. Putting the bowl up a little higher can help. My M has a double 'plastic' unit thing for both her feed and water bowl, and refuses to eat from floor level. Dont have the bowl too high, just try 6 to 8 inches from floor level, or where you find he's comfortable.

Anna and M
I breed miniature horses and am owned by a doodle called M who is the best thing since sliced bread.

amber

Post by amber » 15 Mar 2008, 21:49

The thing to think of as well though is that deep chested dogs can get gastric torsion, it has also been said that eating from a higher bowl can be a contributing factor to this. A dog will lay down to eat if it is uncomfortable, all ours do.
I think it is more likely to be bordom with the particular food.
Is he a good weight?
Amber
Ps re reading your post it could also be that he feels a little stressed around food. I was wondering if it would be best to put his food down and then perhaps do somthing else and leave him to eat, or maybe barneyboy has some ideas on this.

hitthebongo

Post by hitthebongo » 15 Mar 2008, 22:34

I think you're right, he can be stressed by food... His bowl is left down for him to go to any time he wants to, but it does n't get touched..... We try and vary the food aswell, one day fish the next day meat and so on... We know he likes the fish etc because he will eat it if it has n't been put in his bowl :?
look at me ! im ted .

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 15 Mar 2008, 22:46

Is it the bowl then that's the problem? Or is he the same with any bowl? Perhaps there was an issue or accident before you had him where feeding time became stressful. :?

Will he eat things if they are on the floor (things he has found) or only if you hand feed him?

Have you given up on the Iams? If he won't eat any of it then I guess there's no point. (It tends to be a bit high in protein and bulky stuff he doesn't need anyway.) I can recommend Nature Diet - they all seem to love it (well, nearly) and JWB is a good dried food.

Has he had his teeth checked? Maybe there's a soreness.

Hope some of this might help. :D It's a mystery. :?

Helen
x
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

amber

Post by amber » 15 Mar 2008, 23:37

It sounds as though he could have been frightened by the feeding bowl where he was before.
If you leave his food down all the time it teaches them to ignore it.
You could try putting his food down in the bowl, and leaving him for a couple of minutes, and if he ignores it take the bowl up, and feed again at the next meal time.
He may then see it as a new thing, and realise that if he doesnt eat he will have to wait, it may be worth a try.
Amber

Wills Miller

Post by Wills Miller » 15 Mar 2008, 23:48

Try a plate. William eats out of a bowl raised from the floor, but my bully Walter wont eat from a bowl, I used to hand feed him cos it got that bad and I didnt understand why, he had never had a bad time with a bowl. Anyhow I thought I would try a plate, and he has eaten from a plate ever since. He drinks from a bowl but only eats from a plate :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jill & William Miller
xx

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Mar 2008, 13:02

It could well be the bowl - one of my dogs is really scared of a ceramic water bowl - I've no idea why, she is fine with the metal bowls even though they make a horrendous noise! It might be worth trying one made of something else :?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 17 Mar 2008, 21:03

Fussy little blighters aint they :lol: :lol: :lol:
On a funny note about being scared; the only things Mac has been petrified and barky at so far has been a flowery wheely bin, a stone lion and a wooden sculpture of a bird :lol: :lol:
I would probably say change the bowl, try some NatureDiet (as all the dogs we have around try to steal Mac and Tanyas) and leave him in peace for 15 min then take it away. Do you feed him after walking when he is hungrier?