RAW CHICKEN

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Bid

Re: RAW CHICKEN

Post by Bid » 16 May 2008, 12:57

I have a problem too and we do have a local butcher. He says he rarely gets them in but I suspect you have to be a regular to get a good marrow bone (I'm a veggie so that's not going to happen). I tried Landywoods but you have to buy in bulk from them ( I'm not feeding raw so it would mean a lot of bones :roll: ). I too would be interested in peoples ideas.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

yoz1881

Post by yoz1881 » 16 May 2008, 13:33

Sorry, I can't help you there, as I get mine from Landywood's together with the raw meat. I think most people do get them from the local butchers, but if that is not possible, I'm not sure where else you could try :?
I did see some lamb rib bones in Morrison's the other week, they were about 25p for a tray of half a dozen or so, so I bought them, but not seen them since :|
Catherine, owner of Roger & Dylan, the up and coming stud dogs ;-)

yoz1881

Post by yoz1881 » 16 May 2008, 13:34

Just a thought, is there anyone you know in your area that uses Landywood's, as they could order a bag of bones for you?

Lainey74

Post by Lainey74 » 16 May 2008, 14:15

yoz1881 wrote:Just a thought, is there anyone you know in your area that uses Landywood's, as they could order a bag of bones for you?
Frosty...?? Doesn't she use Landywoods? Both she and Calpop are in Manchester!! Sorry for voulnteering your services Alison... Blame Catherine :lol:

I know thats of no use to Bid though... Sorry. :(

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

Hip Dysplasia is painful & expensive. See the hip scores of BOTH parents.

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

tashanlouie

Post by tashanlouie » 16 May 2008, 16:07

If you type in organic farm shop in google, loads of sites come up where you can order chicken wings ect.
Tasha

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 May 2008, 18:14

Wow Tasha - you're a genius! I did that & it came up with loads that I didn't know about right on my doorstep - even a vineyard doing free wine tasting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Murphy's mum

Post by Murphy's mum » 17 May 2008, 18:11

lucy courtney

Post by lucy courtney » 20 May 2008, 22:26

There was a dog at our vets at the weekend (adult ) that was being opened up because it had a bone stuck in its stomach. It was fine after surgery but I would be very dubious with all bones, I know Jilly wont feed any chicken legs for instance but will feed Chicken wings. and she is a fan of the fresh diet.
Annettes Labradoodles: http://www.annetteslabradoodles.co.uk

The Labradoodle Club Of Great Britain: http://www.labradoodleclub.co.uk

Annette Courtney and Lucy Courtney

yoz1881

Post by yoz1881 » 20 May 2008, 22:43

It is a tricky one isn't it? Personally, I feed wings rather than legs because the ratio of meat to bone is better, and they only have them once or twice a week. With all of my boys, I started off by bashing the wings with a rolling pin, and holding on to the wing while they ate, to encourage proper chewing. I don't leave them unattended with a knuckle bone, just in case they manage to get a chunk off it, which I wouldn't want them to swallow.
There are risks with everything, you only have to look at what poor Dougal has gone through today, because of swallowing a teddy (wish we had some news :( ) Equally, there is a risk with a complete diet with the possibility of it swelling up in the gut. I guess you can only do what you are comfortable with, but I suspect that even if I wanted to, I couldn't change the boys back to complete now...they'd turn their noses up at it :lol:

jasperaliceuk

Post by jasperaliceuk » 22 May 2008, 13:30

Isn't it daft that supermarkets won't let you have bones (because of Health & Safety). I'm assuming they don't want a law suit should your dog choke on a bone it had sold you. I was after ham bones to make Pea and Ham soup and Sainsbury's wouldn't let me have one in case I gave to the dog. Madness :roll:

So, yes, it has to be the butchers.

Sue

PS - Milo has now had two raw chicken wings and loves it.

Check out Milo's tricks on http://www.youtube.com/jasperaliceuk

Bella

Post by Bella » 22 May 2008, 18:10

On the label of a chicken we bought for Mabel recently it suggested not to wash it as the splashes and germs on your hands can do more damage with cross contamination than not washing it. I did some research and found that more and more people are recommending not to wash raw meat. She eats her wings straight from the packaging.

If you're cooking it for yourself the heat of cooking will kill any germs, if it's raw for your dog their teflon tummies will take care of the bacteria.

The only thing I worry about with her chicken, and ours, is that it's free range. It's annoying but reassuring to see the choice of supermarket free range chickens towards the end of the day getting smaller as they are becomnig more popular.