eating stones!!!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
c123

eating stones!!!

Post by c123 » 01 Jun 2008, 12:42

I have an area of gravel next to the patio in my garden and Bailey seems to be obsessed with the stones on it. He's always tried to pick them up and chew on them but i manage to stop him most of the time but last night when i was cutting the grass he actually swallowed a couple because i didn't manage to get to him quickly enough. He grabs them and then runs off when he sees me coming towards him, is he swallowing them to stop me getting them out of his mouth??

They are about 1 inch size and can't be good for him, i think i've seen or read somewhere about dogs having major operations to remove stones from their stomachs. How do i stop this worrying habit he's picked up? Or should i just get rid of the stones?

Any ideas greatly appreciated, Catharine.

PS please can someone tell me how to get the photos from photobucket onto here???????????

Bid

Re: eating stones!!!

Post by Bid » 01 Jun 2008, 14:45

I believe eating stones can cause some dogs to have a blockage, so if you thinkg Bailey has eaten some do keep an eye on him. Daisy threw up quite a large stone recently and was obviously quite bruised for a day or 2 :( Is it a big area? I have covered my gravel around the house with the black membrane from garden centres which lets the rain through. Once they have forgotten it's there I shall try uncovering it, and in the meantime it is being kept wonderfully weed-free :lol:

TO get photos on here open a photobucket account (it's free) & load your pics on there. THen just copy the img code into your post.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

c123

Post by c123 » 01 Jun 2008, 14:55

It is quite a large area, think i have decided the stones have to go! I googled dogs eating stones and was horrified by the amount of stories of major operations! Now it's just a case of what to replace them with, do you know if bark chippings are safe if eaten??

I've had dogs all my life but this is my first puppy in about 5 years and i feel like a novice again!! :lol: Lost a dog to gastric torsion earlier this year and am now panicking if he even so much as sneezes!!!! Over protective mother syndrome!!

Bailey and the offending stones!!!

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn67 ... ley001.jpg

Bid

Post by Bid » 01 Jun 2008, 15:12

How dreaful losing a dog like that - it's one of the things I really worry about (yep - another over-protective Mum :oops: ). I think you have to be careful with bark chippings - some are harmful to dogs - I can't remember if it's the ones with coconut in, or all of them - no doubt someone will be along with more info soon - or try a search on here for them - it's on here somewhere :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

amber

Post by amber » 01 Jun 2008, 15:19

I think it's the chocolate type bark chippings, but anyway i don't think it's a bad thing to be protective, you have to be really. With the stones business keep an eye on sickness, or being unable to toilet. Hopefully they will go through, but not always.
I agree it's a nuisance but peace of mind is good. We recently had to take Bella for an XRay to determine if she had swallowed a battery, it turned out that she hadnt but i could'nt rest until i knew. They literally chew and swallow anything if they are that way inclined and you can only try and cover all eventualities
Good Luck
amber

jasperaliceuk

Post by jasperaliceuk » 01 Jun 2008, 16:05

The stuff to be wary of is called cocoa shell mulch, a by product of chocolate manufacture and poisonous to dogs. Ordinary tree bark chippings are fine.

Sue

Check out Milo's tricks on http://www.youtube.com/jasperaliceuk

Bid

Post by Bid » 01 Jun 2008, 20:21

:lol: :lol: Nice one Sue - I knew someone would remember :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

freyadog

Post by freyadog » 01 Jun 2008, 20:39

I was just going to ask about normal bark chippings as i was going to buy some this week after clearing all the weeds.So thanks for that info :)
Where do all the weeds come from.. :?

AnnaCostaire

Post by AnnaCostaire » 01 Jun 2008, 21:47

A little tip that might help with Bailey and his stones - or rather Bailey NOT swallowing stones!
Always have your pocket full of very important, tasty, favourite treats - perhaps someting he adores but rarely has?
As soon as you see him with a stone, pull out a treat and pretend to eat it yourself - lots of 'yummmms' and 'oooo lovelys' needed here! Offer to share the treat with him - maybe, just maybe he will drop the stone to have the treat?? But of course he may still swallow the stone quickly and still expect the treat!!
It's worth a try, but whatever you do dont chase him for the stone coz this will most likely make him swallow it.

Another thing I have done which HAS worked, it to quickly point/prod at the ground saying 'Oh gosh, oh golly, what on earth is this' in a VERY excited voice - it usually brings them running to see/join in with the fun, and you can then follow up with the treat idea above!

Just ignore the neighbours when they start tutting and passing comments about that mad person living next to them LOL!!

Good luck.

Anna and M
I breed miniature horses and am owned by a doodle called M who is the best thing since sliced bread.

debs43

Post by debs43 » 02 Jun 2008, 18:32

dont want to alarm you but to warn you, our ziggy had a passion for stones when he was little, and it ended in a very expensive operation, and a lot of worry, he ate gravel and stones and after a while had to have some small stones and one larger stone removed from his stomach, its was pure luck and knowing my pup that i think saved him, the vet suggested muzzling him while he played in the garden, but we decided to limited his access to patio when unsupervised, and thankfully he did outgrow this