including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 19:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Complaint to M and S re premium rises
PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 10:26 

Like everyone else seems to be discovering, M&S has been pushing through some huge rises. Our premiums are being increased by a massive 50% on last year for the same cover, from £175 to £260! It also annoys me that lots of companies now quote a monthly premium as standard, as if they think we won't notice just how much that represents over the course of a year.

It's a minefield shopping around each year too because it's often hard to tell (especially on-line)which insurers will offer lifetime cover if a pet develops a chronic illness like diabetes. Having said that, M&S offers that guarantee but doesn't tell you how much they'll push your premiums up by every year if your pet is unfortunate enough to fall into that category. Seems like you can't win.

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 10:29 

Forgot to say that this is our third year with M&S, so the "first year discount" is already out of the equation. When I queried the reason for the increase, the person I spoke to on the phone was very dismissive and basically said that this was the rate, take it or leave it.

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 17:40 

If that's the attitude, then leave it :roll:

Check out Greenbee. Cover is just as good, if not better than M & S and cheaper.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 11:03 

Its the same with most insurance companies unfortunatly, sainsburys do the same, as do a couple others i know of, however its just the age of the dog they choose to increase the premium on that differs, the reasnoing i have had behind it from having to have a interview with a company that dealt with them is that once they get to a certain age the statitics apparntly show that owners are no longer as careful or pretective of them as they would be with a younger dog/puppy and as such with associated health risks makes them a more at risk than a younger dog.

Chris

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 19:48 

I too was with M&S in our first year and it was about £15 a month - when the renewal came through it was around £23 - as a test I checked the price if I tried to take a policy online as a new customer and it was around £19. I called and asked them to requote but they refused. Have never made a claim. I am now with Greenbee which is actually just over £20 so still quite expensive.

I think more and more people need to query these policy prices because certainly with my car insurance renewal last year, I found a cheaper quote, told my existing company and they renewed for the same price as the cheaper quote.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 12:50 

Just had Lizzies MnS insurance renewal its up from £13.99 to £18.76.I rang to ask why as weve never claimed and was also told to take it or leave it.
Any suggestions welcome.
Freda

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 13:25 

Hello Kate , our M&S insurance has just gone up from £14 to £22 and we have never claimed , we got a cheaper quote from More Than but when tried to follow it up on the phone we got an Indian Call centre who immediately put a few ££'s on the quote they posted to us and to be honest we could not really understand him so we are still looking to change now..... :?

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 14:02 

All very interesting; it seems that Rufus aged three with no claims and living in the wilds of Cornwall has the most expensive premium at £25 plus per month...

I did e mail Stuart Rose and I gather my comments are being investigated. When I receive a reply I will post it here.

Unfortunately with all the other things going on in my life at the moment, I have not had time to research alternatives for Rufus this year. So we are stuck with M and S :evil:

Katherine

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 14:13 

Kate, we just sorted out insurance on Gocompare , we plumped for Sainsbury's same cover as M&S , IE Lifetime cover £7500 per illness for a measly £12.40, so we have actually saved on insurance as we were paying £14.40 with M&S last year but rising to over £22 for this year .So with the money we saved .......blah blah blah :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 18:18 

Well what a day,cancelled MnS decided to have argos £16.45,for same cover as MnS.then came on here saw Sainsburys cover, even better and cheaper,cancelled Argos.What a waste of time....yawn.
Im waiting for Argos to confirm cancellation then will get Sains sorted.
Thanx for keeping us posted.
Freda x

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 21:02 

keegan family wrote:
Kate, we just sorted out insurance on Gocompare , we plumped for Sainsbury's same cover as M&S , IE Lifetime cover £7500 per illness for a measly £12.40, so we have actually saved on insurance as we were paying £14.40 with M&S last year but rising to over £22 for this year .So with the money we saved .......blah blah blah :lol: :lol:

just be aware sainsburys will sky rocket after a short while with them, it was them i had an interview day with

Chris

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 21:40 

Wow what happened to get an interview day.Freda

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 15:27 

SandyCamm wrote:
keegan family wrote:

just be aware sainsburys will sky rocket after a short while with them, it was them i had an interview day with

Chris

Yes, I think they basically all offer a very reasonable initial premium and then increase it dramatically in future years....

When I have some time I may do a poll to see if this is a universal practice.....

Katherine