including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 14:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Complaint to M and S re premium rises
PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 12:49 

Rufus's insurance renewal forms from Marks and Spencer have just arrived and as anticipated the premium has risen substantially by some 20%. This policy was taken out three years ago at a monthly cost of £12 for the top cover; last years monthly payment was £21 and as from June it will be just over £25.

I have never claimed on the policy, Rufus is only three years old and I don't think the far west of Cornwall is a particularly risky area. Although I know all insurance premiums are rising substantially ( my public liability insurance premium for a small independent bookshop is terrifyingly huge and again we have never made a claim) I consider this excessive and am writing to Stuart Rose the Chairman of M and S asking for an explanation.

If anybody else can quote similar rises I would be interested to hear of them so I can add more substance to my letter and mention our group interest on a non attributable basis.

Katherine

Post subject: Re: Complaint to M and S re premium rises
PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 13:28 

we were with m&s for Megs first year when we went to renew it had really gone up - they told us to let it run out and renew on line to get the discounts. I told them to stop messing me about and give me a proper quote. Anyway went with argo in the end hope I will never know how good or bad they are. Insurance companies only like new business there are no no claim bonus or returning clients bonus just new customer / online discounts

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 13:51 

Im with M&S as they seemed to have a better policy for less money but my renewal date isn't til September.
I currently -ay £13.59 a month so will be interested to see what the premium will go up to. I have heard about their policies rising dramatically for the 2nd tr before, so it's obviously their thing and they hope you just renew for a 2nd without bothering to get quotes elsewhere.
I know for a fact i will not be paying £21 a month!! :shock:

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 14:13 

We had Alfies renewal through a couple of weeks ago with M&S - they wanted £330 (he's 12 months old). This was for their top cover, but I thought it was astronomical. We now have exactly the same cover (for life) with Greenbee for £197. Check out Greenbee!

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 15:04 

Just got a Quote for Coco at 15.44 a month for the top cover covering ongoing illness for life from Argos,this was on the phone will go up yearly with inflation £65excess will be going with this one.

Coco & Barney

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 15:49 

Green bee is cheaper for now.For same amount of cover.So I am going to take this one out and check insurance on a yearly basis.Think that is the only thing to do as all will go up the following year.

I looked into marks and Spencer and the premiums where a lot more.

At least I have now made my mind up.Coco is 18months next week so about time :lol: :lol:

Coco & Barney

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 20:09 

Charlie's renewal is due in July, he is 4years old and i have made a couple of small claims.
When i took the policy out it was £100.17 @ £8.35 month. Nil excess
2nd year £207.59 @£17.30 nil excess
3rd year £287.88 @£23.99 £70 excess
4th year?????
Might have another look at Greenbee

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 10:50 

My best friend is with m&s and has had a similar experience with the price rise. In general I think that a lot of premiums are rising although some pet insurance companies are still cheaper. I don't really understand but if your not claiming is it really worth paying £250+ a year on something your not using.. especially if your doodle is young. Whats everyone's thoughts? I have per condition pet insurance which has worked out great for me. Lisa xx

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 11:16 

It seems to be a common problem with all insurance :twisted:

I've just had to renew dog, house and car insurances and every one came in with a massive hike in the renewal costs. :cry:

I ended up having to go through the price comparison sites and the direct sell companies getting quotes and saved a fortune, often getting them down, with the same level of cover, to at least the same as last year, if not cheaper. It's also worth getting a RIAS quote online (if you are over 50) and waiting as they phone back and you can haggle then down dramatically :wink:

Now whether they will pay up in the event of a claim is anyone's guess :roll: . I use feedback sites to check out what reports on the companies are like. Some of the biggest are the worse to deal with once they have your money :evil:

The whole thing is ridiculous. It used to be that loyalty and customer fidelity had a reward but that seems to have gone in all walks of life. They only want new business so they can screw you for hefty premiums in the future because most people don't want the hassle of changing and renew automatically anyway.

The latest scam is that they will take your money by direct debit UNLESS you tell them otherwise. Great way to get you if you don't stay on the ball with deadlines for renewal :twisted:

Hubbie has just had the same thing on behalf of his Mum over her house insurance. £400ish to over £800 in one year. They know she's elderly and doesn't use the internet. In the end she went with her neighbours recommendation because he's an insurance broker. He wouldn't diddle her but brokers are all on commission so you pay out more that way too. :cry:

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 13:32 

M&S £16 per month for first year - Just got the renewal through and it was £25 / month - and had no claims. So have cancelled and got a better deal elsewhere.

Jo

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 14:49 

doodledo2 wrote:
I don't really understand but if your not claiming is it really worth paying £250+ a year on something your not using.. especially if your doodle is young. Whats everyone's thoughts? I have per condition pet insurance which has worked out great for me. Lisa xx

Personally I would not like to be without insurance as an accident- which could befall any dog- could easily result in vet costs of well over £5000. And a serious condition which we all hope our dogs will avoid can also be very expensive. Once the dog has been diagnosed with something there is no option but to stay with the existing insurers as new ones will not take on pre-existing conditions.

Katherine

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 20:34 

If you buy a new insurance policy online, consider using quidco or another cashback site, I got £70 for my home and £75 cashback for my motor insurance recently. Didn't get it for Bonny's insurance as the best quote and policy came from a company where I was already a policy holder and therefore did pot met the criteria of a new policy holder.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 21:50 

I'm with Pet plan and my premiums went up a lot too and I haven't claimed either. I was going to look at M and S as they've been recommended by lots of people, perhaps not now. Greenbee sound good.

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 11:49 

Just had a look on the 'Monsy Savings expert' site to find out more about pet insurance. Me being a first time owner I signed up with Pet Plan as Blue came with free cover for the first few months with them. Im paying £25 a month and didn't relise how exoensive this was until I saw this post (thanks again Katherine)! I should have done some more research but in the sleep deprived panic of having this mad, excitable, exhausting bundle of fluff I obvioulsy lost my senses!

Anyway Im onto it now! Though I think as someone said in a previous comment, that my insurance has been automatically renewed :(

Here is the link to Martins money saving expert site page on getting the best Pet insurance deal!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insura ... ance-costs

Good luck with your complaint Katherine, let us know how you fare.

Anna & Blue

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 16:53 

Thanks for the comments and I am now in possession of Stuart Rose's e mail address so will report back on what he says. I suspect that this price rise is common to all insurance policies on second and third years.

Although I have not claimed on the policy so far, Rufus did suffer that seizure which I would have to report to a new insurer so I think my chances of being able to secure a reduction are fairly limited.

Cecilia; just a point on insurance brokers....If you have a good one who is prepared to work properly there is no fee; it is the insurers who pay their commission. I did research the net for building cover a couple of years ago but found unless you have a conventional building it was hopeless....They couldn't cope with the idea of our house built from a mix of granite and cob dating back to 1720. A bit like when I registered Dad's last mobile phone for him (he is quite deaf) and in the end had to demand to be put through to a manager as they simply would not accept his year of birth is 1918 :lol:

Katherine