including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 19:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Greenbee Insurance
PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 12:58 

I'm with petplan, and the new quote for Beamish for £4000, was just under £200. I've been claiming regularly for Daisy for a couple of years and her premiums haven't gone up noticeably yet. :|

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 13:09 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am confused - hope I don't offend you but...are you sure you've done everyhting right? I took out Greenbee insurance 2 months ago for my (then) 9 month old pup and it is costing me £12.50 per month (£150 per year) for the £10,000 cover. My pup cost £600. Unless the one you are getting is mega-expensive or if you live in an extremely high risk area I can't understand that quote??? I got my quote through the John Lewis website and listed Bella as a crossbreed as Labradoodle wasn't on the list.

PostPosted: 27 May 2011, 16:13 

I put down that I paid £250 (£500 really!).
I phoned them today and they said it was because he's a puppy and the vet fees where I live, Wimbledon, are very high???

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 23:21 

Ozzy's 'free' (?!) month's insurance with petplan is almost up and I have been searching for DAYS :shock: :shock: regarding continuing lifetime cover. To continue with petplan they are asking for £34/month for x1 healthy puppy!!!!! I managed to get them down to £29/month but I still feel this is a ridiculous price...

When I asked Ozzy's vet who they find the easiest and most straightforward to deal with, he said without a doubt it was petplan..

I'm in a dilemma now... My hubby (surprisingly!) thinks we should just go with the best despite the inflated monthly premium but I can get the same lifetime cover for almost half that price with another company..

I need to make a decision in the next day or two..

Lou

250347_10150263988313664_777333663_7437540_2913232_n

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011, 11:19 

It's a minefield Lou, and unfortunately you never know how good a company is until you have a problem. We pay £12.50 a month with Greenbee. Just hope I never have to use it. Let's face it - we really want insurance to cover treatment but the insurance companies also take into account the purchase cost of the dog. Bella was £600, yours may be more expensive cover as the "value" of an Aussie is higher (although it's neglible really as they're all priceless!!!! :D ). Also, we didn't take our cover out until Bella was about 10 months old and I think it may be slightly more expensive when the pup is younger, due to the unknown issues - i.e. they don't cover existing conditions and by 10 months old hopefully anything major should have already shown itself! You could always take the Petplan cover now and, providing nothing (fingers crossed) develops in the next 12 months, re-assess the situation and change if you want to. Maybe they would even lower your premium if you agreed not to claim the full purchase price of the puppy in the (God forbid!) event of something going wrong. Sorry to sound full of doom and gloom but these things are relevant to the policy and personally, i don't care about getting a penny if anything happens to Bella, I just want to make sure that if she's ill and needs treatment she'll get the best care. i'm sure we all feel the same about that. Good luck whatever you decide :)
Jean x

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011, 21:03 

Quote:
I put down that I paid £250 (£500 really!).

Don't do it!!!
If the worst was to happen, (death :( ) this is all you would get(minus excess) Also, if, in the event of any other type of claim, such as vet's fees, and your Insurers were to find out you had underdeclared the "value" (priceless, imo) of your pet, there is the possibility that they could wriggle out of liability because you had underdeclared what you had paid for him/her and hadn't been completely honest with them! ( have you checked the difference in premiums betwen a dog which cost you £250 against the cost of £500?)

I hope you don't feel that I am being mercenary, my dog's wellbeing is paramount, but what do we insure for afterall, other than to lighten any financial burden? :D

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011, 18:02 

I was also horrified by the Petplan increase and was recommended E&L by someone who is in the insurance business and she uses them for her horse and dog. They were brilliant at paying out when the dog was attached and badly injured. I ended up saving £50 per month!

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 17:46 

Be very cautious of the John Lewis policy. I know others here are convinced that it provides lifetime cover on any condition, but that's not what the standard policy document on their website says.

These are the key conditions

Duration of the policy
This policy lasts for a period of 12 months when
it automatically expires.

Pre-existing medical condition
Any condition or complication directly resulting
from that condition, that has been identified or
investigated by a vet or is otherwise known to
you prior to the start of the insurance.

This is what a Sainsburys policy for true lifetime condition cover to £7,500, underwritten by the same insurance company AXA Insurance says on the duration of its policy

Duration of the policy
This is an annually renewable poilcy (Which means the same policy continues if renewed)

Whilst John Lewis will offer you the opportunity to renew the policy provided all premiums have been paid, and some have taken that to mean lifetime cover, since the previous policy expired at the end of 12 months it will be a completely new policy starting from the renwal date and they will be entitled to exclude any condition claimed previously as pre existing.

Ultimately, it's what is written in the policy you have entered into that determines how they will treat claims and unless they are prepared to give you a written statement varying those terms, this wording does not give lifetime cover for recurring conditions.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 21:23 

Quote:
the previous policy expired at the end of 12 months it will be a completely new policy starting from the renwal date and they will be entitled to exclude any condition claimed previously as pre existing.

Yep, be very careful. I recall we had similar discussion on another post

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 21:41 

I have John Lewis policy and treatment is on going year on year.

Coco & Barney

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 22:58 

Linda&Coco wrote:
I have John Lewis policy and treatment is on going year on year.

Have you made claims for the same condition in 2 separate policy years yet?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 23:42 

Fizz and Indie are with More Than and have the highest level of cover. Pet plan was considerably higher with less cover. I pay just under £30 pm for both dogs. I am currently claiming over £800 because Indie recently had an operation for an intestinal blockage. So far so good with the claim but we will see if we get any hassle as it progreses. By the way, Indies claim was within the first two week of the policy and we didnt think we could claim but because the blockage wasnt and injury or illness we are covered. Phew!! I must say they were really helpfull over this...so far anyway

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 09:56 

I can only state again Coco is covered for life I have checked this out again this morning.

No I have not made a claim for vets fees not needed to.But I am confident that should I need to the policy will cover me this year and next and any other year. :)

)

Coco & Barney

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 11:07 

I'm not trying to be clever, but thousands of people including me have been caught out by these subtleties in insurance policy conditions over the years, so everyone does need to be careful about what they believe they've got and what the policy document actually says.

Fourteen years ago I had a policy with Saga with a very similar Policy Duration clause for one of my dogs and was horrified to discover that all forms of gastric complaint were excluded because I'd claimed for gastro enteritis from them 2 years previously. All the premiums had been regularly paid and they were more than happy to continue insuring the dog for the rest of her life, but only for completely new conditions that occured in the current policy year, after which they were regarded as pre existing exclusions.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 11:36 

Major News on John Lewis Insurance (ex Greenbee)

I had previously sent a response in to John Lewis, querying the lack of clarity in the wording, and not had a reply.

Following this thread, I have chased it up last night with both the CEO and the Customer Service side.

I have just had a phone call from Sue, the Customer Liaison Manger at Head Office for John Lewis Insurance, who is adamant that it IS Lifetime Cover, and full of apologies that there is confusion and upset.

They are going to immediately look into it all and change the wording, check out what went wrong with the claims on this thread and fully brief the sales and claims teams on clarity and consistency.

They are now fully appraised as to how important Forums and Facebook are to discussions between pet owners regarding insurance.

So we await the outcome in practice. :P

PS I also told them about the Labradoodle Show and suggested they should come and take a stand :lol: :lol: