including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 14:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Insurance??!!
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 16:55 

Who do other people use and what do you pay?

I have spoken to the customer services and it seems it depends on postcode ie cities pay higher; (we're rural) and the cost of vets fees in the area.
It claims that vets fees have gone up 12% however even my maths works the increase out much higer!
She did say that claims aren't relflected in the premium -not that we have claimed this year.
For Colin we pay £15.60.

More Than have been ok so reluctant to change - is anyone else good?

She did try and say that lab crosses can have health problems, interestingly I said are premiums lower if you can prove the parents have been health tested and she said they don't ask those questions! So we are paying higher premiums because of unscrupulous breeders who don't health test! I asked her to feed it back that perhaps they should be asking those questions!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: Insurance??!!
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 17:45 

We live in the centre of a city in an expensive area and it definitely does put the price up - not sure why - traffic maybe?

However after a lot of searching we are with AXA and pay just over £11 for full cover.

We have never claimed but recently let them know Monty is now neutered (cheaper to insure) and they promptly reduced the cost.

He is also down as a crossbreed which also brings down the cost.

Hope this helps
Leah

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 18:07 

Petplan full life cover £49 a month.
They list labradoodles as a breed and won't let you put crossbreed down .
I got the first 2 months free.
It's very expensive but I have know friends with other insurance who had problems with claiming. We live rurally and down south so guess that adds to the cost.
Petplan pat the vet direct. I feel better doing this and have peace of mind although I wish it wasn't so costly!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 18:29 

Hello. Im with Greenbee (John Lewis) and pay £12 per month and was able to put her down as a X breed. I was tempted to go with Petplan as I know they have a good rep, but these companies ALWAYS put their premiums up and i want to start with one thats affordable at least whilst she is young...

My mum now has to pay £90 a month on petplan as her dog is older.... i think thats outrageous! :shock:

xxx

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 08:06 

I meant to shop around this time but didn't have the time to so stuck with More Than, can't remember exactly what the renewal is but they put Bella's up more than Pippin's, we had a £50 cheque from them for a small claim and they have ensured they will be getting half, if not more, of that back in the next year which makes me wonder if it's really worth claiming. If something big ever happens I'll be glad we had insurance but hearing how much it goes up in old age when you are more likely to need it makes me wonder.

Oh and yes Pauline, totally agree about the health testing, might be difficult to manage though, suppose they would need to see copies of the certs etc to avoid people lying about it for a cheaper price.

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 09:20 

spangle wrote:
Petplan full life cover £49 a month.
They list labradoodles as a breed and won't let you put crossbreed down .
I got the first 2 months free.

Mine are both crossbreeds with Petplan :?

Pauline do be very careful about changing. It might even be worth talking to your vets about it. Silly things like I had Poppy's hips checked when she was spayed, but it is possible that if I changed insurers and she had a hip problems in the future, she would not be covered as they would call it a pre-existing condition. I am told that the insurance companies are now going back through the dogs entire medical history for each new claim, jsut to see if they can get out of paying up. Little tummy upsets that ended up needing a vet visit, can be held to account for all sorts of things in the future too.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 11:46 

pp charge the earth for pet insurance!! I am with Healthy pets who I find to offer the best balance between cover and cost. Worth a look :) https://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/quote

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 19:43 

Sainsburys..... £19.00 for both of them together with lots of extras, full cover.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 12:16 

I searched around for days for insurance for Treacle when we got her 1 month ago. Eventually I plumped for More Than. They do a Pet Insurance for £7000 cover or Pet Saver Insurance for £3000. I took a risk and plumped for the Pet Saver at £8.33 a month or £99.66 per year. There's quite a wide spectrum of cover on both policies and I partcularly liked the free Vetphone where you can ask for any type of advice re sickness, behavioural problems, grooming, feeding etc. There's a qualified RCVS Vet Nurse on the other end of the phone. Could save a fair bit of money there. Also the £1 million Liability cover does cover your dog if it accidentally injures another person or their property (bouncy doodles?). A lot of the small print in other policies say it doesn't. What it does cover then I don't know. I also got the first 2 months free. As long as you keep renewing you have continuous cover. I think this is one worth looking at.

TREACLE

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 21:01 

Hi
We have Tia insured with Protect my bubble, strange name I know she is on there premium cover and it costs £10 per month, she is listed as a cross breed (which after all is what she is) I havent had to claim so cant say how good they are at paying :) Julie

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 14:52 

Hello there
We were recommended 'More Than' by someone local, who has two Labradors and has had good experiences using this policy, but in the end we opted for Direct Line, for a balance between cost and the sort of basic cover we wanted. Direct Line have been good with car insurance over the years.

The cost is £8.09 per month. That covers essential vet fees, but no additional stuff. It also covers Third Party liability, but no holiday/over seas cover.

I have a cynical view of Insurance Companies. They are all expert at wriggling out of things, so we have aimed to cover the basics only, but even then I wouldn't be holding my breath.

( I don't know which company this was with, but I heard on a radio prog about accident insurance that a man who ran a window-cleaning company had taken out a policy to cover every employee against falls. When he himself fell off a ladder, was badly injured and claimed, they refused to pay. Apparently the policy was to cover 'all employees' but they said he was not an employee, he was the owner, so he was not covered.) :roll:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 18:25 

We've decided to stick with Morethan as they cover quite a lot - hopefully we won't regret it!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 18:33 

Hi,

We pay £15 a month for Dexter with Argos we have the platinum package claims up to £7,500 renewed each year.

Our recent vet bill came to £408 for an ear infection and Argos paid out within 3 weeks minus the excess which was £65

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac24 ... 5647_o.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 11:06 

Im with Marks and Spencers pay £24 I choose to pay extra I get Gold cover you have to be careful when choosing insurance some your only covered for so much per condition say for example 1,ooo or what ever for cancer once thats used up you get no more you want to be covered for life per condition. The Argos cover seems good might look into that when I next renew.I have claimed £2,800 so far and had no trouble. My friend when her dog hit 8 her insurrance went from 40 to 90 not sure who she is with. dreading this aparently this is quite common reguardless of firm :roll:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 13:39 

We are with sainsburys now (about 30 a month I think) full life cover and had to put our goldendoodle as a x breed as only labradoodle on list. We got them to put it on file that she is a goldendoodle though. Dont want them getting out of it easily !

We thank our lucky stars we had insurance with our airedale who had to be put to sleep due to cancer. Cost came to over 2,500 ! I know vets must put the price up if they know youre insured but heck !