including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 08:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AXA wont quote labradoodle on line but will crossbreed??
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2010, 23:10 

Hi

I wondered if anyone had any experience of AXA insurance in terms of ease of claims etc. It looks pretty good cover (up to £7000 per period of insurance) as I am looking for lifetime cover.

The odd thing is I have just been getting on line quotes and when I put in Labradooodle as the breed it wouldn't quote me - said I had to ring up, but when I put in Crossbreed it gave me a quote? it was a pretty good one too compared to my renewal quote from Green bee (John Lewis)

thanks all

Post subject: Re: AXA wont quote labradoodle on line but will crossbreed??
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2010, 23:19 

The important thing to check for is that it doesn't just cover you for a condition for one year from the start of that condition, as many of these insurance schemes do... you want one which will cover your dog for life if it gets a condition which is chronic.

I phoned up to ask on all of my quotes.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010, 12:14 

We are with AXA but have never had to claim so far. However after Monty was neutered they very willingly and easily lowered the cost (neutered dogs cheaper to insure) and refunded some money with no fuss.

We looked at lots and AXA has good cover at reasonable prices - we pay £9 I think.

Lots of companies don't list "Labradoodle" - they are, after all cross breeds and some companies come up with a cheaper quote for cross anyway so often best not to specify what cross!

Leah

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010, 12:59 

Monty is with AXA and we pay £15 per month lifetime. I understand that AXA underwrite Greenbee. He is not neutered, so what a difference that would make :shock: but I am waiting until his hormone development is complete before the op :? . I did telephone AXA as I too had problems with signing up (no labradoodle box to tick) but they said to tick as crossbreed.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010, 15:26 

Yes pick cross breed. I went with Pet Plan and they made me specify labradoodle as a breed, I am sure I pay more because of this.
But am happy to cover just incase I need it.

As Liz says you need to make sure you pay for life cover, sometimes insurance companies look so cheap, but is not worth paying as if you need to claim they make it very difficult to do so.

best of luck
Lou x

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2010, 13:43 

We have Marley insured with Pet-insurance and we insured him as a cross breed for £9.20 per 28 days for lifetime cover. After thinking about it for a week I thought knowing what insurance companies are like when it comes to a claim I had better clarify things, so emailed them to say Marley was a Labradoodle. They did not have Labradoodle as a breed in their quotes list.
When the reply came back from them it said they would change the information and it would now be £10.03 per 28 day cycle. Can anybody explain why it costs an extra 83p per month to insure a Labradoodle than a Cross breed?

Jan, Pete & Marley.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2010, 16:02 

GRRRR wrote:
We have Marley insured with Pet-insurance and we insured him as a cross breed for £9.20 per 28 days for lifetime cover. After thinking about it for a week I thought knowing what insurance companies are like when it comes to a claim I had better clarify things, so emailed them to say Marley was a Labradoodle. They did not have Labradoodle as a breed in their quotes list.
When the reply came back from them it said they would change the information and it would now be £10.03 per 28 day cycle. Can anybody explain why it costs an extra 83p per month to insure a Labradoodle than a Cross breed?

Jan, Pete & Marley.

I wonder if its because Labradoodles are still expensive to buy.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2010, 19:17 

Freddie is insured as a crossbreed because that is what he is. Same as one of my dogs was a Hienz 57, so many breeds he was a mongrel. Mongrels and crossbreeds (so I am told by NFU Insurance) are deemed to be hardier than a purebreed so are therefor cheaper to insure.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2010, 19:23 

gillwightman wrote:
GRRRR wrote:

Jan, Pete & Marley.

I wonder if its because Labradoodles are still expensive to buy.

I think it's because there are known health probs common(ish) in the parent breeds :|