including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 06:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aussie Labradoodle Pet Insurance or 'Crossbreed'??
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 12:54 

Trying to arrange pet insurance for Ozzy's arrival (to continue once breeders 4 week insurance runs out).
Ozzy is an Australian Labradoodle however obviously most insurance companies list either 'labradoodle' or 'crossbreed'.

Contacted Petplan yesterday and listed his breed as 'labradoodle' but was quoted £40/month :shock:

Would you suggest when requesting quotes that I list him as a 'crossbreed'??

Has any Aussie Doodle owners had their insurance company recognise the 'Aussie Doodle' or do they list as 'crossbreed' & what's been your best quote?

Many thanks in advance..
Lou

250347_10150263988313664_777333663_7437540_2913232_n

Post subject: Re: Aussie Labradoodle Pet Insurance or 'Crossbreed'??
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 13:02 

I found this difficult, as most plans ask you how much the dog cost and insure replacement at this cost. BUT they don't go up as far as Aussie labradoodles cost.

I had her put down as labradoodle cross, and as a note, Australian, and had to bite the bullet that she is only insured for replacement to £1,000.

I had further trouble finding anywhere that would insure her as she is a service dog, only Halifax would do it.

Please be very careful as the wording of the insurance can be tricky. You need to make sure that you are not only insured for each condition for a year, but for a lifetime. Some policies will give you cover for any number of conditions up to a year, after that YOU pay for the treatment, so if they are diagnosed with an allergy for instance you are doomed. This is quite common.

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 13:08 

WHen I first insured Daisy with Petplan, the person on the phone told me that it would be cheaper to put her down as a crossbreed rather than a labradoodle, so I did. Since it was their advice I don't think they can object to that. I only have their medium insurance (as I have other dogs and cats to insure), and I pay £15 a month per dog, although I know that when they hit 8 it will go up considerably. That allows me £4000 per year, and conditions are covered for life, thank goodness, as Daisy's hips are here to stay!(and so is her ear it would seem :( ).

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 13:21 

I went for John Lewis insurance, labradoodle not on the list so i chose crossbreed. Mongrel is on the list so crossbreed seems to fit the bill. It's costing me just over £12 per month for up to £10,000 per year cover. It doesn't cost any extra to pay monthly. Seemed like a good deal but you never know til you make a claim do you? I have since read some negative reviews of price hikes so it's a bit worrying but at least I'm covered if anything major happens. It'll be interesting to see what others say about different companies. By the way I think John Lewis used to be Greenbee. (?)

By the way Bid - this is what worries me - when you say conditions are covered for life, can the insurance company not just hike the price up to an extortionate level as they know you will be making claims each year? I've been lucky so far, had dogs all my life and never had to make insurance claims but you never know and it is a worry!

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 14:00 

I am with John Lewis pet insurance,cover £15.48 for £7,000 so long as you renew every year
then it is life time cover.Coco is F1 so down as cross breed. Mine did go up this year by £8.85 for the year. Which I thought was reasonable.

Coco & Barney

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 15:41 

We accidentally let our pet insurance expire so we have had to start from scratch which is a real pain. If they list Labradoodle you will need to put that as it's what your vet will have him listed as. Some only have crossbreed as a choice in which case you are ok to choose that and it will be cheaper too.

We have been quoted £12.46/month for Monty with Sainsbury for £7000 lifetime for each condition, which seems reasonable. Petplan was also a good one at just slightly more.

Leah

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 16:39 

Pebbles is an ASD she is insured with Petplan and has the supreme covered for life policy. She is down as a Labradoodle - I don't think anybody really recognises an ASD as a breed ( please correct me if I'm wrong).

She has been really ill recently and I am so pleased she has the supreme policy - worth every penny. I was going to renew it at the cheaper option at the beginning of march (with the £4000 cover)

Luckily I didn't because she became very sick a week later and her vet bills totalled over the £4000 within a week. She was in two animal hospitals for a total of 4 nights , had numerous blood tests, an MRI scan, an EMG, a biopsy and was on a drip. She had something called Polyneuropathy, which meant that basically her peripheral nervous system wasn't working properly to send messages to her muscles and consequently she could hardly move. Two months later she is well on the way to recovery but still having twice weekly hydrotherapy.

So my advice would be to get the best cover you can afford because if they are seriously ill it could be very expensive.

Clare and Pebbles

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 16:40 

Pebbles is an ASD she is insured with Petplan and has the supreme covered for life policy. She is down as a Labradoodle - I don't think anybody really recognises an ASD as a breed ( please correct me if I'm wrong).

She has been really ill recently and I am so pleased she has the supreme policy - worth every penny. I was going to renew it at the cheaper option at the beginning of march (with the £4000 cover)

Luckily I didn't because she became very sick a week later and her vet bills totalled over the £4000 within a week. She was in two animal hospitals for a total of 4 nights , had numerous blood tests, an MRI scan, an EMG, a biopsy and was on a drip. She had something called Polyneuropathy, which meant that basically her peripheral nervous system wasn't working properly to send messages to her muscles and consequently she could hardly move. Two months later she is well on the way to recovery but still having twice weekly hydrotherapy.

So my advice would be to get the best cover you can afford because if they are seriously ill it could be very expensive.

Clare and Pebbles

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 21:00 

I have an f1 doodle and an Aussie.

Both are listed as labradoodles as Petplan and Direct Line (who I am now with) both recognise doodles.

I told the insurers the price of my Aussie as a lot (a lot) lower, as my boyfriend would see how much I actually paid for him :lol: :lol: . I don't know if this makes the insurance cheaper, but I was paying about £14 each on petplan, then when they put it upto £38 I went with Direct Line for about £27 for both with whole of life cover.

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 21:07 

Hi

We got our 50/50 miniature labradoodle insured with Animal Friends as a labradoodle for a superior plus package for £18.15 a month. got the quote through go compare.

Seems quite reasonable but i am no expert and just hope it will be sufficient, though hopefully will never need to find out.

Any views welcome

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 22:02 

JeanG wrote:
By the way Bid - this is what worries me - when you say conditions are covered for life, can the insurance company not just hike the price up to an extortionate level as they know you will be making claims each year? I've been lucky so far, had dogs all my life and never had to make insurance claims but you never know and it is a worry!

THey haven't increased ours so far, and Daisy has had ongoing claims for 2 conditions. My old dog did go up when he was over 8, and when he was over 10 I think it went to my having to pay 10% of his vet fees rather than a flat excess.

PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 01:25 

Of course where you lived makes a difference to what they charge you too. I think my area's farily expnsive, though I don't know why. I noticed that the price of insuring a 'labradoodle' was more expensive than saying she was a 'crossbreed' too. I was loath to pay the higher cost but worried whether I'd be covered if I put crossbredd, although that's what she is cos she's an F1 (miniature). I couldn't believe the price some were charging to insure Roxie with unlimited insurance. Petplan was very expensive, so, although I know it's very good, I didn't go with it. Many quotes were over £20 a month and she was only a few months old, so didn't have any conditions already. The trouble is, once you've made up your mind, if you claim you're then really stuck with that insurer as another one won't insure you for that previous condition, so it's important who you choose.

I eventually went with Aviva Gold, covering her up to £3,500 for £13.15 a month. I phoned the company and told the girl that she was a cross betweeen a labrador and a miniature poodle, so should I put 'crossbreed' and she said yes. I still worry that that was okay as 'labradoodle' was an option.

As F2s, F3s, Australians etc are bred from two labradoodles, I assume they wouldn't be able to put 'crossbreed' or am I wrong?
She's being spayed next month, I wonder if that'll put her premium down - I doubt it.

PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 08:43 

Suzi wrote:
She's being spayed next month, I wonder if that'll put her premium down - I doubt it.

I was told that it wouldn't affect the premium either way, I just have to ring them and tell them when it happens,