including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 14:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: IN A DILEMMA! PET INSURANCE! :-)
PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 01:00 

We have been with Morethan for the last few years who have recently introduced a compulsory 10% contribution towards the cost of all treament in addition to a £70 excess each year, once the dogs hit 9 years we will have to pay 20% towards treament costs. Unfortunately we are unable to switch companies as our Tibetan Terrier has hypothyroidism so requires lifelong treament therefore is a pre-existing condition. We pay £28.43 a month for him and £21.85 a month for Rosie, our healthy 4 yr old Labradoodle. I don't really consider this a good deal but are stuck with them now unfortunately!!

Don't forget that premiums are also based on postcode as well as breed so ours will always be high as we live in a London Borough where veterinary charges are high, the standard consultation charge with our vet is now £40 :(

PostPosted: 22 May 2011, 21:18 

We are with sainsbury and they have just refused our claim for Marleys OCD as they state a visit to the vet for an unrelated limp prior to the insurance starting makes it a pre existing condition. This is despite our vet writing to them to say the limp totally resolved prior to the OCD diagnosis. We are currently going thru their complaints procedure. :(

PostPosted: 22 May 2011, 23:55 

We're with Aviva Gold for £13.15 a month. It's for lifetime cover, but only covers up to £3500 per year, which I hope is enough!!! For similar cover from John Lewis it was £17.64. I spent hours and hours deciding and still didn't know whether I'd chosen the right one. Everything seemed soooooo expensive. Pet Plan was too expensive to consider. Our friend's cockerpoo puppy (at a few months old and microchipped) is with Animal Friends and is around £40 a month, I think!!! She went for the best deal with the most cover!! I couldn't get advice from my sister with her three dogs as she hasn't got any of them insured (nor spayed!!!). It was a real nightmare! There's also the delima of saying labradoodle or cross breed. With an Aussie doodle, I suppose it has to be labradoodle, but as Roxie's an F1 I put cross breeed as it was cheaper. I did ask the lady on the phone if cross breed for a labrador crossed with a poodle was okay and she said it was, but I didn't mention the option!!!

Re. liability insurance and Michala mentioning children not being covered. My son cycled into the side of a car, denting it and putting a long scratch down it!! It was hundreds of pounds worth of damage (can't remember the exact amount) but we'd recently changed to Direct Line house insurance and it was covered!!!! Phew!!!!