including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 14:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Food and Insurance
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 12:23 

Hi
We are new to having a dog but are so looking forward to adding to our family...BUT
I am pulling my hair out with the issue of food (dry) and insurance :? .. can anyone give me good advice please Im not looking for cheap just great quality in both cases.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Food and Insurance
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 12:47 

Lots of advice will follow -
We followed the breeders insurance and haven't changed - thats Pet Plan they are expensive but very good . I'm sure there is cheaper options out there but its swings and roundabouts and the small print should be read before.
As far as food the breeder will tell you and its important you give the puppy that and if changing must do that slowly so as not to upset their tums.
We did change that from the breeder and you will find lots to choose from, it can also be confusing and at times I became quite stressed that i was doing the right thing. I now give 'Green dog food [dry] topped with a vaiety of wet food such as Nature diet, Chappie, Butrchers Tripe, sardines,
You will find out lots on this site and from what I've read they're all good - so its a question of choice and price.
Hope you can decide but my advice would be wait till you get your puppy and ask the breeder what they recommend and go from there.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 13:04 

Yes absolutely - keep with what your pup is having at the breeders for a while, and ig you decideto change after a week or two then do it very gradually. My pup was on Royal Canin when we collected him at 8 weeks. He is now 12 weeks and we are in the process of changing him over to Orijen. He was having a little naturediet wet food with his RC to encourage him to eat, but now he has the orijen in with it he needs no encouragement! Eventually he will be on raw food like my girls, so he is having some bones to gnaw and some spoonfuls of raw food too, which he loves :D

Mine are with Petplan too. I went for the middle plan - just over £15 a month which allows £4000 vet bills a year. So far even with Daisy's MRI scans, ear flushes and endless treatments we haven't come close, although I know a hip replacement would be a hefty bill should we need one. Daisy's premiums haven't shot up yet either, but I shall wait for the next renewal before I rejoice too much about that!

Do tell us all about about your pup - boy or girl? Standard or mini? UK or Aussie?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 13:11 

Hi, I agree with Madeleine and Bid, continue (at least at first) with what the breeder is feeding and then judge for yourself when you know your dog a little better. Bella has never liked dry food and only ate to survive. I asked advice on this forum for a good wet food and the overwhelming advice was Naturediet. it's far from the cheapest but she loves it and we mix it with Burns hypoallergenic mixer to give some crunch and help teeth. It's been the right choice for us but as Madeleine says, lots of different advice will follow. Many dogs love dry food and it's so convenient, mine didn't so it wasn't for us. As for insurance, we're with John Lewis/Greenbee (£12.50 a month for up to £10k) but as we haven't made a claim I don't yet know how good they'll be. I guess the most useful advice will come from those who have actually had to make a claim like Bid. Good luck, it's a minefield!!

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 14:59 

Hi, ours are with Sainsbury's and for Jessie we pay just over £9 per month for up to £7500 per year for life; but I did get it online when they had an offer of a third off if you joined before a certain date - not sure if it is still on though.

Once you've had your puppy for a few weeks you will know if he/she is enjoying their food and thriving on it :D Well formed firm poo's are a good indicator that puppy's digestion is at it should be! :lol:

ImageImage

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 16:34 

Food wise I feed Dexter dried green dog food which is a holistic food, and mix it with cooked chicken or meat.

We are with Argos insurance and pay £15 a month for platinum cover :D

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac24 ... 5647_o.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 17:56 

Bid wrote:
Yes absolutely - keep with what your pup is having at the breeders for a while, and ig you decideto change after a week or two then do it very gradually. My pup was on Royal Canin when we collected him at 8 weeks. He is now 12 weeks and we are in the process of changing him over to Orijen. He was having a little naturediet wet food with his RC to encourage him to eat, but now he has the orijen in with it he needs no encouragement! Eventually he will be on raw food like my girls, so he is having some bones to gnaw and some spoonfuls of raw food too, which he loves :D

Mine are with Petplan too. I went for the middle plan - just over £15 a month which allows £4000 vet bills a year. So far even with Daisy's MRI scans, ear flushes and endless treatments we haven't come close, although I know a hip replacement would be a hefty bill should we need one. Daisy's premiums haven't shot up yet either, but I shall wait for the next renewal before I rejoice too much about that!

Do tell us all about about your pup - boy or girl? Standard or mini? UK or Aussie?

He is a little boy, white,and UK ...we love him to bits already
We visit and handle him as much as we can and cant wait till june 19th

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 18:03 

Not long to wait now then! Have you any photos? Has he got a name yet?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 18:41 

Hi, I've stuck with the food the breeder used (Royal Canin) and Lottie seems to like it and she does not get upset tums or the runs. We introduced her to some poached chicken this week after she got spayed and it seems to have gone down well! As far as insurance is concerned we went to Sainsbury's because I was with them for my last dog and they were great, Amber needed two cruciate ligament ops and was in intensive care because of kidney failure before she died when she was 12. The total cost in the last two years of her life was over £9,000 and Sainsbury's paid for everything promptly with no questions.

Fiona

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 22:06 

Stout is with greenbee (john lewis) insurance - we have just put a claim in for emergency trips for tummy bugs, so will have a better idea of the service in a few weeks!

As for food... He stayed on james wellbelove for a while when we first had him. We gradually changed him to symply. He is also currently on natures diet as that seems to agree with his tum. In the next couple of weeks we will be switching him to raw food. Food seems a bit of a mine field! Good luck!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 23:03 

Thanks for all your help... we cant agree on a name for him and will post photos as soon as we get him :D

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 23:08 

I have been driving myself mad looking into insurance for Lola today as we pick her up on Tuesday so thankyou for asking the question! The prices do seem to vary quite alot from one site to the next for what seems like the same cover so its a complicated choice! :shock: :roll:

Alison & Lola

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2011, 22:28 

We picked up our labradoodle a fortnight ago and after many hrs of searching the internet we decided to go with Sainsbury's. On paper it looks like a great policy and comes in at £13.40 which is cheaper than we ever paid for our Boxers in the past. Here is hoping we never have to claim