including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 14:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! Desperately need a new insurance company
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 17:19 

Florrie is currently insured with PP ( I think we can all work out who that is) I have recently put in 3 separate claims to them.
1: I'm not happy with how long they took to get back to me once the claim was received and being processed (it took weeks)
2: They're refusing to pay any of my claims
3: They've put a whole load of exclusions on my policy which is why they are refusing to pay out

One of the exclusions they've added is they will not pay out anything to do with clinical signs of vomiting as she had an umbilical hernia. Her hernia NEVER caused problems and I paid to have it repaired when she was spayed (at 4 months old), I didn't claim for it at all. They won't pay out for any skin disorders as she has had internal otitis (ear infection), and a whole list of other things. Her operation she had a few months ago to remove the nappy she ate cost me £1300, I phoned PP and they said that yes the insurance would cover it but obviously couldn't guarantee that they would pay out. I lose my job at the end of August, I found out on friday and therefore can't really afford for them not to pay out and me just paying them every month when I don't have a job.

Has anyone else had problems with PP? Which other insurance companies would you recommend? Lastly is it worth getting her insured as there are so many exclusions will other companies put the same exclusions on or is it better to just save money each month and use it when needed?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm rather stressed out at the minute with it all :evil:

Thanks
Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Post subject: Re: Help! Desperately need a new insurance company
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 17:36 

I am with PP and have had no problems with them paying out, but mine have been with them since they were pups and so there were no existing conditions. I assume her otitis was before you were with PP? They have been paying out large sums for Daisy's otitis.

My only problem with them was that they changed their policy with regard hydrotherapy and I can;t go anywhere else as Daisy now has existing conditions (Hip Dysplasia and Otitis), but I can;t get the same cover I had when I took out hte policy which seems wrong to me.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 18:27 

Switching to another insurer could still be a problem because a new insurer will also exclude pre existing conditions.

Before you do that though, have you discussed with your vet whether it is reasonable to exclude anything to do with clinical signs of vomiting because she had an umbilical hernia repaired? As far as I know that's a one off usually hereditary condition and once it is properly repaired will not re-occur or contribute to other gastro intestinal problems. It's worth checking what their opinion would be before giving up as insurance companies always look for reasons not to pay out if they can and hope you will just accept what they say.

If the vet supports you, here's the link for their complaints process and you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service if you're not happy with how they deal with it. http://www.petplan.co.uk/contactus/complaints.asp

The external otitis could be due to allergic issues which can also occur in the skin so you probably would have a problem getting cover for skin conditions.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 19:03 

I really feel for you, I think all insurance companies be it pet, health, car or home, manage to pay out the bare minimum if at all possible

having said that, we pay a fortune to PP each month and to be fair we've really benefited from being with them as Wil has had major behavioural issues.... at the last count we were up to £4500 ~ over 16 months :shock:

all we've had to pay has been the £75 per year excess

so, although we did look at cheaper options, I'm glad we went with pp.

I really hope you can sort this out, it must be worrying for you

Anne

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 20:31 

Sorry to hear your having problems and I hope you manage to sort things out. I hate insurance companies, there's always a clause somewhere to their benefit :evil:
As mentioned it may help to speak to your vets as they deal with the insurance companies every day and could help you?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 21:19 

Yes, speak to your vet and if you think they are being unfair and unreasonable it may be worth taking some advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau. Anything she has developed after you took the policy out should be covered!!!! :evil: