including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 08:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Early insurance for pups - should we, can we?
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 08:54 

I've been thinking about this for a while, and decided to ask here. The breeder usually insures your pup for the first 4 weeks and then you get insurance to take over. It's possible (I don't know) the breeder gets a 'kick back' for doing this, as the insurer might be hopeful that you will carry on with the same company.

However, if your pup gets anything really in that 4 weeks, your new insurer will see whatever it was as a 'preexisting condition' and you will not be insured for it for the rest of the dogs life.

Should we be insuring our own pups as soon as they are chosen?

Post subject: Re: Early insurance for pups - should we, can we?
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 09:15 

Good question :D We didn’t go with the same insurer as the breeder, luckily no problems with Wurly in the first 4 weeks. Maybe the breeder would get a discount for insuring multiple pups at once. :wink:

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 10:01 

The 4 weeks free insurance that breeders give you is just the free insurance from Petplan. As long as the puppy has been vet checked prior to setting up the insurance then you're fine. The free insurance covers you for injury immediately but for health issues you have cover if the condition starts at least 2 weeks into the policy. Breeders just think it sounds good to give you insurance but you can take out exactly the same free insurance yourself. With Petplan they will then give you another 4 weeks free if you take out an annual policy but the second lot of free insurance is the same cover as the annual policy.

Hope that helps a bit! x

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 10:16 

Also, with Pet plan (and I asume others are the same?) you can't take out the insurance until you have the puppy home, and it isn't actually effective for another 2 weeks after that.

Beamish's free insurance was with another company but had the same terms as Pet plan,

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 10:27 

I didn't go with Pet plan as it seemed very expensive and was advised to insure straightaway with the new insurer (sainsbury's) because of the two week rule. I had been insured with Sainsbury's for my last dog and they were great during her last two years when she had lots of problems.

There are usually offers of discounts with most of the insurers the first time you insure.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 13:14 

Interesting question. It seems to make sense to change to your own insurer straight away unles you intend to stay with the one who's giving the free cover. I hadn't thought about this before. I wasn't actually given any free cover myself so I wasn't faced with the dilemma, but I see what you mean. If something happened in those first weeks you would have no choice but to stay with that insurance company as you wouldn't be able to get full cover elsewhere.