including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 08:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Insurance!
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 18:53 

I have received quotes for what look like good policies at Sainsburys, Pets at home and HomeBase.
Have any of you had experience when it comes to actually claiming with any of these companies?
Don`t want to make the wrong decision here!
(i am looking at platinum cover)
any advice would be great,
thanks
Sarah - soon to be owner of Jessie F1B

Post subject: Re: Insurance!
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 19:18 

i got a good deal from Sainsbury's for Lottie and went with it because my last dog was insured by them during the last three years of her life and they could not have been better. They paid out without question for two knee replacements and intensive care for the kidney failure that finally ended her life, totalling nearly £9k. I joined them initially because they were one of the only companies I could transfer to when Amber was 10 years old.

The only down side with the current policy is the high excess as I have had to take Lottie to the Vet for a few things and so far we have not reached the excess!

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 20:30 

Lizzies with John Lewis,was called Greenbee before.Ive never claimed,its their top one and costs £15.09 monthly.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 22:39 

Our three are with Sainsburys but, luckily, I haven't had to claim. I joined them when they had a special online offer of a third off (for Jessie and Deano) and I did get a discount for Dooley... but they're not currently offering the same third off. Both the doods have the top cover and Jessie is £9 and Dooley is £16... quite a difference but perhaps dogs are more expensive to insure than bitches :? ? I don't know.

Good luck with whichever company you choose! :D

ImageImage

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 07:40 

Thanks for the replies, sainsburys come out better on the review sites though they
do increase their premiums by quite a bit over time is seems.. (Some of the popular and more expensive companies have some worryingly bad reviews)

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 08:34 

I've just been quoted £13.85 with Sainsburys for their "option 2" (I assume this is lifetime but will need to check) and £20 by pet plan for more or less the same thing. To me (perhaps i'm tight) £20 :shock: seems a lot to be paying for a 3 month old (they wanted £30 for the ultimate package!) when obviously the premiums will increase with age. With our old dog i was paying £45 a month (it was time limited though) which is understandable due to the age so i hate to think what pet plan would be charging when my pooch gets to be an oap!!!

Makes you realise how lucky we are to have the NHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I am always amazed how quickly things can be done when you're paying top dollar - I can get my dog's blood tests within in hour, takes mine a min of 2 weeks at the GP's :lol:

I'm also going to check M&S and John Lewis.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 08:48 

I am with Petplan - not the all singing all dancing policy, but the £4000 one. I have had my complaints about them - principally when they chanced their policy re hydrotherapy after we were already claiming for it. What I will say though, is they are very prompt at paying up - Daisy has had regular claims over the last 2 years for her hips and her ears. Also, unlike a lot of companies, they haven't put our payments up on renewal, even though I have been claiming. That has put them back in my favours because I think I remember people saying both John Lewis and M&S put theirs up by large percentages on renewal.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 23:14 

Hi Sarah.
Thankfully, have not experienced claims service. However I took out M&S premier cover (£7000 VB )2 years ago, but premium increased by 50% over that time, bearing in mind no claims that is a lot.. Just moved to John Lewis, similar cover/excess (and excess can vary enormously, so something to watch out for) and premium is less(£13.55pm) than when cover incepted with M&S- bearing in mind first 2 weeks isn't covered, I overlapped, just in case of catastrophe.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 18:24 

Sarah Bevan wrote:
Thanks for the replies, sainsburys come out better on the review sites though they
do increase their premiums by quite a bit over time is seems.. (Some of the popular and more expensive companies have some worryingly bad reviews)

Sainsbury's are very good in the early years of a doodles life when you never know healthwise what they will be like particularly in the case of Labradoodles. Buster's PI started with Sainsbury's at £26 pcm, increased after claiming for a one-off skin infection to £34 but this year they wanted £40 which I drew the line at and changed to Tescos. It is very good if you want comprehensive cover and they will also liaise directly with your vet if you like in respect of PI claims. They always accept PI claims but don't really appear to value customer loyalty and most of their PI offers are targeted at new customers rather than existing customers, but as I said its best to go with Sainsburys for the first 3 years of the doodle's life and thereafter other PI providers.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 19:41 

I would be very careful if changing policies. These days insurance companies are being meticulous about checking back over the past history of dogs before paying out on claims. For example, if you changed companies at 2 years, and then went on to claim for a recently discovered food allergy, and they notice that at 5 months you went to the vet with a tummy upset, they could easily claim that the allergy was an existing condition, and you are not covered, but had you had the same policy from 8 weeks you would be fine.

It's annoying, to say the least!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 21:12 

I've got that problem with Florrie. I'm with petplan and due to Florrie's extensive ongoing medical conditions and treatments they've put a few exclusions on my policy. I will never be able to take out another policy with any other company so looks like I'm stuck with petplan. They haven't been the best tbh and really drag their heels over paying out. My vet has helped me to get claims back by phoning them and discussing treatments etc with them, funnily enough they've paid out a few days later.

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 23:51 

I have shopped around all week for an insurance for our new puppy(that we got today) & found Virgin to be the best & most competitive, they have quoted £8.28 p.m & cover is quite good ....£4000 with an £85 excess.

[Image]

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 17:40 

Just for the record - I ended up going with John Lewis.
I guess the proof is in h pudding, hope I don't have to claim for a long while.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 20:36 

I am soo jealous of the quotes for less than £20pm!
When we got Bonnie I thought I would give M&S (clyde's insurers!) to give a quote - they wanted nearly £450 for a year and then I had realised that Clydes payments had gone up from £19 initially to about £38 pm
At £85 pm I decided not to insure - and so have "saved" nealy £400 already. Chancy I know but the money is put by instead for any vets bills - I might try and have another look as some of those prices are quite good.

I did think of downgrading to M&S standard cover with £4000 claim per year - but there was a catch to this! The £4000 was restricted to a max of £1000 per condition. I thought that this was a bit of a swizz as I think that it is far more likely that you would would spend 1500 - 3000 on a single condition (maybe 2 - 3 years apart ) rather than upto £1000 on 4 different (and unrelated) conditions in a single year. I think that this effectively put on a £1000 max claim. So quote £350 (less than other) plus excess of £80 for a max claim of £1000!!!

I know some insurers then bring up the whole thing about owners being sued for third party damage that their dogs have caused but join Dogs Trust as a member for £25 and you get £1 million third party cover. However I have never heard of any dog owner being sued in this country - let alone owners losing their houses!

Good luck out there

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 21:14 

Our John Lewis insurance is £16pm, I assume it will go up as she gets older.

I would like to add - about 12 years ago a friend of ours was crippled in a motorcycle accident caused by an off lead dog running into the road.
The dog owner was not insured so he was sued. Unfortunately he had no money so our friend didn't get a penny and she has struggled financially ever since and she is no longer able to live a normal life.
Had the dog owner been insured things would have been very different for her.