including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 06:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pet insurers are giving over to completely diff worse policy
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 12:07 

I couldn't believe the post yesterday.

Our pet insurer is giving up pet insurance and giving all their policies over to Petwise insurers.

I have a good policy, where Lola is insured for each new condition until she was cured, or forever if a chronic condition.

The new Petwise people only cover up to a certain amount, after that you're on your own!

Practically none of the benefits are as good.

How can they do this? Now anything we have been to the vet for will count as a 'pre-exising' condition and we won't be able to even claim should she have problems in the future!

Anyone here know anything about Petwise, and anyone else insured with Halifax?

Post subject: Re: Pet insurers are giving over to completely diff worse po
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 12:22 

There have been several posts on different places about this.
I will try and find some of them for you.
But Martin Lewis "The money man" on tv has also been investigating and has some advice.
Again, I will try and find it for you.

Ann & Ben

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 12:31 

One thing I've found is this template letter of complaint:

Halifax General Insurance Services Ltd YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS
Trinity Road
Halifax
West Yorkshireicon
HX1 2RG

Re: Pet insurance policy number ...................

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your letter in which you inform me that you are discontinuing your lifetime pet insurance policy.

I am writing this letter as my formal complaint and to inform you that I reject your discontinuation of this product.

Your conduct in abandoning the cover, which I have had with you for X years, is a breach of your FSA obligation to treat customers fairly. It is also a breach of contract.

The terms in your contract that entitle you to terminate the policy are being operated contrary to the requirements of good faith and in a way that is detrimental to me, and are therefore invalid under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

Breach of Financial Services Authority Regulations
The FSA Handbook, which regulates your activities, contains as one of its binding principles, a rule that requires you, as a regulated firm, to treat your customers fairly and to have regard to them when making decisions. Not only is this a statutory duty, it is also implied in the insurance contract and forms one of the terms and conditionsicon that exist between us.

Breach of Contract
At the outset of my lifetime insurance policy with you, there was an implied term that you would provide cover for any conditions that came into existence after the initial commencement of the policy. As you fully realise, I will be unable to seek new cover with any other insurer for pre-existing conditions if you do not renew my policy.

You or your underwriters, for your own economic reasons, have made a unilateral decision to terminate your program of lifelong cover and this leaves me in a position where I am unable to insure my dog for any existing conditions This is despite the reasonable expectation that you created in me when you initially marketed the product and persuaded me to enter into a contract with you.

Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999
The UTCCR say that when there is a non-negotiated standard-form contract, and a term in that contract is operated contrary to the requirements of good faith to the detriment of the consumer, then that term is unenforceable.

For the reasons above I reject your termination of the insurance cover and I am writing to inform you that I am fully prepared to continue the insurance cover on the same terms as before.

I should point out to you that I am not interested in the fact that your underwriters may have changed their minds about providing the insurance policy as that is your issue. My concern is merely with your contractual obligations towards me.

I require an immediate response to this letter. You should understand that if you have not provided a satisfactory response within the next 14 days i shall send you a letter giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect before I commence legal action in my local county courticon, either to enforce your contractual obligations or to seek compensation to provide for lifetime care for my dog.

The County Court is the only route I will be taking if we cannot arrive at an agreement and I therefore advise you to forward this letter to your solicitors if you are not prepared to meet my demands.

You should also be aware that I am sending copies of this letter as part of a complaint to Trading Standards, the OFT and the FSA.

Yours faithfully

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 12:46 

See also:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news ... ds-newsxml

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 14:16 

Wow, Ann, thank you. I thought I was on my own there.

I would even have accepted this, if they had given over to an insurer who was giving as good service. But they are SO much worse!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 14:37 

Beverley Cuddy from Dogs Today has a facebook campaing about this ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater and a downloadable poster for you to put up - preferably near to the Hailfax ! http://www.dogstodaymagazine.co.uk/hoh/flyer3.pdf

I think it's disgraceful leaving owners un-protected like that :evil:

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 15:08 

I've posted on the Facebook wall, thanks, Bid.

Lola, as a service dog, HAS to be insured. The public liability on the other replacement insurance they have sent through does not cover her properly at all.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 15:21 

Anyone reading this that feels outraged could download the A4 poster on the Facebook site above...

...and put it up in your vets - I wouldn't suggest near branches of the Halifax as that is unlikely to stay in place long - but people with pets insured by them will go to the vet and see the info and may join the campaign, get help and support etc that they need to fight.

Some pets with chronic and now uninsureable conditions are having to be and have been put down - apparently this has been going on since last December.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 22:29 

Liz, you are never on your own here :D :D

Everyone needs the help of others on here from time to time. The addvice you get on here is priceless at times, good luck getting it sorted.