including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 17:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Are More Than having a laugh?
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 21:50 

No Shiv, you could get a 'life policy', but if anything has gone wrong in the meantime (and I truly hope it hasn't) you won't be able to get cover for that condition. It currently costs me at least £200+ per month for Ianto's hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and whatever drugs or supplements, including Glucosamine and Chondroitin, that he needs... the policy covers his physio but not his hydro - that was a one-off 10 sessions. He still needs them.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be horrible, or to frighten you, but health problems can be very expensive. We're fortunate in that, if the lad needs treatment that isn't covered, we would be able to afford it - but fees can soon mount up. We're considering having a consultation which would cost several thousand pounds and will most probably have to be self-funded...

No-one wants to ever have to balance up the cost of treatment against their dog's life... this isn't directed at you personally, I just really want people to understand how important it is. I apologise if it sounds as if I'm criticising you, I'm not, because you have been looking at making sure your puppy is protected.

Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 21:53 

shivlin wrote:
Ianto! wrote:
Thanks Bid - put much more succinctly than I could manage!

Shiv, my point is really, you need to have a good policy in place from the start because (for example) if Ianto had been diagnosed before he was covered, the insurance company wouldn't cover him for that particular condition.

Anne & Ianto x

I know, I think I just don't feel its important at the moment as he comes with his guarantee for 2 years, could be wrong, after that time I can always get a life policy.

Shiv, Welcome, and I don't mean to be harsh, I don't post too often these days, but I really do think you are living in cloud cuckoo land! especially because you have a "2 year guarantee" on your pup!? Is your pup a commodity, which, if it doesn't work to your expectations can be replaced with one that does? ( I have that on my TV!!!)

Without knowing the wording of your guarantee, I really would not have thought that any breeder would be stupid or naive enough to provide for any eventuality, such as you letting your dog off the lead or it escaping accidentally onto a busy road and it chasing a cat/squirrel/anyothermovingobject and getting killed or injured or causing an accident in the process.
You cannot just get a life policy, especially if in the interim you have an incident/claim, for which that (sometimes extremely expensive) condition will then be excluded from any new policy

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 22:07 

I think I'm possibly very naïve and not fully clued up when it comes to all this but appreciate everyone's advice but please go easy, I love my boy to pieces and I wasn't suggesting his 2 year guarantee means I can get him replaced in the blink of an eye, I just meant I'm fairly confident at this point no medical conditions will kick in. I was just meaning I can get out a life policy if my current cover isn't a life one. Or can I not do that? I know plenty of people who don't even have their pets covered, at least I'm not that daft!

I do have Marley covered, let me make that clear. I am not however positive it is a life policy. Can someone please explain what that would mean if it isn't? Please don't shoot me down for not being 100% insurance type savy. In my defence I did spend a lot of time online researching the best insurers.

My main query is, if my current cover only covers up to a certain amount, I'm guessing that means once I'd spent that amount on the condition it would finish? So in theory am I now not able to take out a different cover that would be a life policy now?

I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm obviously not the best with words but I do want what's best for Marley. :(

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 22:44 

Hi Shiv,

A lifetime policy means that if your pup develops a condition it will be covered for the amount insured every year ongoing. So for example your £5000 pot would renew each year. As others have said, once your pup has a condition it is impossible to move insurers as they will not cover it.

Insurance is also invaluable for accidents as well as health problems. To give you some idea of costs, my 15 month old had to attend a vet hospital for a lump in her neck. It turned out to be a grass seed which had gone through the back of her throat and settled in a lymph node. The total bill including the initial appointments at the vets came to just under £3000. That was for a MRI, short op and 1 nights stay in the hospital. Imagine what a more serious condition or accident would have cost!

It is a minefield! Poppy is insured with John Lewis who paid out for the above no problem. I have however insured our new pup Rosie with Petplan as I believe they are the best. It is a couple of pounds more each month but worth it for piece of mind.

HTH

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 22:52 

Hi Shiv, again, sorry if I came across as harsh, you obviously have your dogs best interest at heart.

I hope that the following is not patronising :roll:

The cover I have for Polo is for life, so, if he was to develop something such as HD, the fees would be paid up to the max each policy year (as long as I renewed with them, obviously) So if I had £10,000 vets fees per annum, I could claim £10,000 each year. Those policies which only provide for each condition, would only pay upto the maximum, so, if I claimed £8000 in the first year, I could only claim up to £2000 for the same condition in the second or any following year/s and if I did claim that maximum of £8000 + £2000, couldn't claim any more for that same condition in any ensuing year/s. Does that make sense?

If you have no pre-existing conditions, in theory, there should be nothing to stop you amending your cover to "life", but the best people to know what cover you have are your insurers, so give them a call to check.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 23:03 

Niandsa wrote:
Hi Shiv,

A lifetime policy means that if your pup develops a condition it will be covered for the amount insured every year ongoing. So for example your £5000 pot would renew each year. As others have said, once your pup has a condition it is impossible to move insurers as they will not cover it.

Insurance is also invaluable for accidents as well as health problems. To give you some idea of costs, my 15 month old had to attend a vet hospital for a lump in her neck. It turned out to be a grass seed which had gone through the back of her throat and settled in a lymph node. The total bill including the initial appointments at the vets came to just under £3000. That was for a MRI, short op and 1 nights stay in the hospital. Imagine what a more serious condition or accident would have cost!

It is a minefield! Poppy is insured with John Lewis who paid out for the above no problem. I have however insured our new pup Rosie with Petplan as I believe they are the best. It is a couple of pounds more each month but worth it for piece of mind.

HTH

Thank you for explaining this, I've decided I am going to cancel my LV plan and take out pet plan insurance. It's only a few pounds dearer for what I'm certain is life cover and like I said earlier I know pet plan is good. My plan was to take out this cover in about a year or so but I thought it would be a lot more expensive!

I felt it was highly unlikely he would get a condition during the first couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I know this can happen but I just feel it is highly unlikely at this point. In my view I believed the premiums would be a LOT dearer for something I'd be unlikely to need. However, having had a look at pet plan premiums I've decided to leap over to them for the sake of £5 extra a month, more than worth it.

I do believe certain people out there pay way over the odds for insurance. I'm not having a go, we are all different. I have been brought up around dogs my whole life and my Gran never insured her dogs and she worked in obedience for many years. She had 4 collies, 2 German shepherds, amongst others. Nothing untoward happened to any of them.

Despite all that, of course life cover is worth it for the premium I can get it for, this is what surprised me, I was expecting a much higher amount!

Thanks for all the advice :)

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 23:54 

Hi Shiv,
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier - last walkies, supper, etc., to deal with... I'm glad that others have been able to reassure you about lifetime cover.

My idea had been to cover our pup with the best insurance we could and then, later, if there were no problems perhaps reduce the cover... Thank goodness I did it this way as it turned out he needed it. The thing is, we can't know what is ahead - I never even considered that Ianto would have HD, having made what I thought at the time were adequate checks. A neighbour's Husky puppy escaped their garden, went walkabout and was eventually found in another area. He was limping and when taken to the vets, had broken his leg. There are no absolute guarantees that a dog will remain healthy - accidents can (and do) happen. So do illnesses.

I'm still not sure what your breeder's guarantee would actually cover - she couldn't be expected to guarantee no accidents would befall her puppies...

Anyway, I'm pleased that you've found the right insurance for your pup - and let's hope you never need to claim on it! :D As I said before, it's the only time we're happy to pay out money and not get a return on it...!

Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 16:20 

I've just received my renewal. I'm with Helpucover. Murphy is 5 years old and has epilepsy so is on meds for life. My premium has gone from £26 to £38.87 this year. I have a life time policy with a £6000 per year cover.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 19:42 

definately put the price up at aged 8 - I had it with Petplan with my other dog and then changed to another one which were extremely good

I am with Petplan and Lulu is 2 and I pay £35.00 (post code) a lot of people pay less but it wasn't a lot different when I got different quites. ASpparently my vets charge more where I live (was quite happy to take her somewhere in the country but that wasn't going to work)

You are caught by the short and curlies with insurance companies but over a year £35 works out as £420 - so hopefully any claims in even 4 years will just be £1680 odd - which if heaven forbid she broke her leg - I may not even have the money saved if I just put that £35 away

Does that make any sense at all?

ImageImage

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 08:14 

Daisy is now 8 and our next renewal will go up drastically with Pet plan I think. From what I remember with my previous dog, the premiums do go up but not hugely, and the excess goes up too, but the main difference is that for each claim on top of the excess you also pay a percentage of the bill too. What will be interesting is that I have a joint policy for Daisy & Poppy, so will I end up paying the extra for Poppy even though she is under 8 - I guess I will find out shortly!