including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 15:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Are More Than having a laugh?
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 01:15 

I had an older dog with diabetes and when she reach 8 i was paying £36.00 a month plus i had to pay 20% of the costs too, but i had no choice but to stay with them...she has since passed away bless her, but i pay £9.57 for my doodle willow who is 5 months.

ImageImage

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 05:01 

When my affenpinscher was 8 the price went up a lot so I changed it to an Equestrian company for half the price who were excellent but of course no pre existing conditions were allowed.

I think 8 is the cut off point unfortunately - can't see why they chose that age

ImageImage

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 12:11 

We're with Petplan on a For Life cover, Jasper's only 2 and a half but boy have we needed it!!! :shock:
If I remember correctly, our premiums only go up in line with inflation and I don't recall any caveat regarding the dogs age. However, I am fully expecting our £90 excess per condition per policy year to escalate!
I went with Petplan because I was worried about general insurers withdrawing pet insurance and leaving me high and dry with an uninsurable dog!
Oh yes, we pay £24 a month.

Good luck
Jo and Jasper
xxx

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 15:05 

Doodle Dee wrote:
I think 8 is the cut off point unfortunately - can't see why they chose that age

Dee, I think it's probably because that's the age when general health issues start to kick in... :? (or am I just an old cynic?? :roll: )
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 18:23 

I honestly think that they are all the same when it comes to increasing premiums. :x they know that being responsible owners that we will do the best for our dogs and insure.
My Doods were insured with M&S (life cover) but last year the increase in premium was quite high so I moved to PetPlan when I first insured Jethro.
I pay £38 per month for Ambrose and Jethro but I know that come renewal time the premium certainly won't go down.
I think that if you don't make a claim in any one year then your premium should stay the same .....
It's all such a racket.......and BIG BIG profits for the insurance companies

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 10:38 

I insured Marley yesterday and did some extensive research online. For me, it wasn't just about the cheapest quotes but instead choosing the best value, with customer service reviews in mind.

I was between LV and some other insurance I can't quite recall now, animal friends? Anyway, with a £60 excess and decent cover I think £13 a month with LV is fine for now. They seem to have excellent reviews online which is very rare for pet insurance policies.

I may change to Pet Plan in the future as despite being more expensive I know they're highly thought of.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 15:44 

shiv,
Have you checked that it's a 'whole of life' policy? Some will only cover up to about eight years of age (which is when you start needing it...)
We went with a PetPlan whole of life cover policy for Ianto when we first got him, which was fortunate because he was diagnosed with HD at 12 months. Insurance is one thing you pay for, and hope never to need...
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 16:08 

Anne I will have to check up on that.

If not, I can certainly change over to a more permanent cover next year.

Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 19:41 

Ianto! wrote:
shiv,
Have you checked that it's a 'whole of life' policy? Some will only cover up to about eight years of age (which is when you start needing it...)
We went with a PetPlan whole of life cover policy for Ianto when we first got him, which was fortunate because he was diagnosed with HD at 12 months. Insurance is one thing you pay for, and hope never to need...
Anne & Ianto x

£5,000 cover for vet fees, because treatment can be costly
You'll only pay one £60 excess for each condition
Reassurance of no upper age limit, meaning that we can protect your pet for longer

It says that on their website but will have a proper read through small print when the paperwork arrives.
What is HD? :?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 19:54 

Hi shiv,
No upper age limit is good... :D
HD is Hip Dysplasia, when their sockets aren't deep enough. Ianto has physiotherapy to build up his muscles and help hold them in place - his policy covers it, so well worth paying for insurance even though we'd hoped never to have to use it.
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 20:01 

I think LV Premium just covers you for up to £5000 per condition, whereas a 'for life' policy will cover you for up to £5000 (or wheatever amount they use) per condition per year. It makes a difference with a lifelong condtion such as Hip Dysplasia, or epilepsy, or any condition with expensive meds and possible surgery.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 20:05 

Bid wrote:
I think LV Premium just covers you for up to £5000 per condition, whereas a 'for life' policy will cover you for up to £5000 (or wheatever amount they use) per condition per year. It makes a difference with a lifelong condtion such as Hip Dysplasia, or epilepsy, or any condition with expensive meds and possible surgery.

I think you might be right from what I can remember. My priority was just to make sure I got him insured at the moment. He does come with a 2 year health guarantee and after that point I'll definitely look into getting one that is more worthwhile long-term.

Ianto! wrote:
Hi shiv,
HD is Hip Dysplasia, when their sockets aren't deep enough. Ianto has physiotherapy to build up his muscles and help hold them in place - his policy covers it, so well worth paying for insurance even though we'd hoped never to have to use it.
Anne & Ianto x

That's such a shame and must be so costly :( So glad you had your insurance in place.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 20:06 

Bid wrote:

I think you might be right from what I can remember. My priority was just to make sure I got him insured at the moment. He does come with a 2 year health guarantee and after that point I'll definitely look into getting one that is more worthwhile long-term. His breeder is extremely vigilant when it comes to health testing her breeding stock. In saying that, I realise you just never know what's round the corner. At least I know I'm okay for the next couple of years for now.

Ianto! wrote:
Hi shiv,
Anne & Ianto x

That's such a shame and must be so costly :( So glad you had your insurance in place.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 20:20 

Thanks Bid - put much more succinctly than I could manage!

Shiv, my point is really, you need to have a good policy in place from the start because (for example) if Ianto had been diagnosed before he was covered, the insurance company wouldn't cover him for that particular condition.

Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 20:29 

Ianto! wrote:
Thanks Bid - put much more succinctly than I could manage!

Shiv, my point is really, you need to have a good policy in place from the start because (for example) if Ianto had been diagnosed before he was covered, the insurance company wouldn't cover him for that particular condition.

Anne & Ianto x

I know, I think I just don't feel its important at the moment as he comes with his guarantee for 2 years, could be wrong, after that time I can always get a life policy.