including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 08:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: INSURANCE QUOTES
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 22:32 

Petplan for me everytime

pay about £23 a month for Beth but in the past 4 months have claimed over £3000 with no questions as she underwent tests and got diagnosed with both bowel and heart disease. She's on about £100worth of medications per month for life, plus 3 monthly blood tests and occasional heart scans, and i'm sure things will only get dearer over time as she gets sicker :cry: . I've had my lifetime's premiums repaid already, which is awful, but i'm thankful at the same time i had the cover.

We never expected this to happen, Beth is 5, was fully health tested pup, and always seemed well until recently. You just never know. for me, the lifetime cover is the only insurance worth having, as whilst you might be able to get the money together for a one off incident/operation, i can't imagine having to face the ongoing costs month in month out.....and on the annual policies often by the second year the chronic condition becomes an exclusion.

its a minefield......but that is our experience, for what its worth

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 15:54 

thepooles wrote:
Petplan for me everytime

pay about £23 a month for Beth but in the past 4 months have claimed over £3000 with no questions as she underwent tests and got diagnosed with both bowel and heart disease. She's on about £100worth of medications per month for life, plus 3 monthly blood tests and occasional heart scans, and i'm sure things will only get dearer over time as she gets sicker :cry: .

Wow, that is good.

I've got a lifetime policy with HelpUCover who have also been brilliant. Murphy's medication costs £1 a day and he has to have blood tests three times a year which cost over £100. I've had to make probably £800 plus worth of claims this year, I've now got an agreement with my vet that he claims for me so I don't even have to pay upfront.

I was worried about claiming too much, so I phoned and spoke to them, they said the premiums go up with age and according to your postcode, so claiming would not push up my premiums.

I was dreading getting my renewal this month, but was very pleased to see it was only £26 a month (from £23 a month) which I felt was good for the amount they pay out.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 18:36 

thepooles wrote:
Petplan for me everytime

pay about £23 a month for Beth but in the past 4 months have claimed over £3000 with no questions as she underwent tests and got diagnosed with both bowel and heart disease. She's on about £100worth of medications per month for life, plus 3 monthly blood tests and occasional heart scans, and i'm sure things will only get dearer over time as she gets sicker :cry: . I've had my lifetime's premiums repaid already, which is awful, but i'm thankful at the same time i had the cover.

We never expected this to happen, Beth is 5, was fully health tested pup, and always seemed well until recently. You just never know. for me, the lifetime cover is the only insurance worth having, as whilst you might be able to get the money together for a one off incident/operation, i can't imagine having to face the ongoing costs month in month out.....and on the annual policies often by the second year the chronic condition becomes an exclusion.

its a minefield......but that is our experience, for what its worth

Aw poor you, and poor Beth. I had no idea :( - sorry if I missed her diagnosis if you've posted elsewhere.

Like you, we're with Petplan, at £40ish total per month for both the girls. Molly is 7 now, and Saffie 5, and, as they have both been healthy to date (fingers and toes very tightly crossed!) with only a £90 claim for Saffie in what amounts to 12 total dog years, and being an OAP, I had been wondering whether to continue with the premiums. Your tale is certainly a salutary one. I had sort of assumed that if there were any underlying or genetic health issues, they would have arisen by now - and I hadn't really thought of such illnesses as Beth's arising - how wrong I am, then.

Here's wishing Beth a good life ahead - I really hope she doesn't get sicker and that the meds give her a good quality of life for many years xxx

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 20:31 

And Dee, since it was you who was asking for comparisons ....

we have been with Petplan since we had the girls

They are on Petplan Classic, and have

Veterinary fees: £4000 per policy year
Complementary treatment: £1000 per policy year
Third party liability : £2m per incident
Boarding fees: £1500 per year
Advertising and reward £1500 per year
Theft or straying £850
Holiday cancellation £1500 per policy year
Quarantine expenses and loss of documents £1500 per policy year
Emergency repatriation: £500 per calendar year

I do get a dual dog discount of £1 per dog per month - whoopee!
and a pensioner discount of £1 per dog per month - again, whoopee!

I also get a slightly lower rate and much better benefits than I had previously because I found they were offering a new series of policies to new customers, and I argued that I, as a long time customer, should have the same opportunity for the new policies! I STILL had to get them to confirm in writing that the cover would be continuous =- even they tried to say that I was taking out new policies and therefore previous conditions wouldn't be covered. (The girls had only had - Molly:ear infections, and Saffie: benign cysts. ) and only 1 claim for Saffie's cyst operation - none for Molly's ears!

I do not need many of the elements of the cover - eg quarantine and emergency repatriation! I have already cancelled the death benefit part, because a) they are irreplaceable, and b) I will rehome from The Oldies Club when the time comes...and although there will be a fee, it won't be as much as buying a new doodle.

It is a minefield, but I do still think Petplan is the best for us.

xxx

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 20:46 

Oh I wonder if I can get pensioner rates after all £1 is £1

So if cancelled some of the benefits - did it bring it down?

ImageImage

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 20:59 

Doodle Dee wrote:
Oh I wonder if I can get pensioner rates after all £1 is £1

So if cancelled some of the benefits - did it bring it down?

:lol: Well, I got pensioner discount from when I was 60! I don't know what they use to calculate pensioner age - I was very lucky to become a state pensioner at age 60, but shortly afterwards the graded change of state pension age was introduced......so you would need to ask Petplan :lol:

I think the cancellation of the death benefit brought my premiums down....but tbh I think you just have to ask the questions yourself ......ie what happens to the premium if I cancel x, y and z? They wouldn't cancel the repatriation etc costs from my policy even though I assured them that my girls were not going to leave these shores!!!!

Good luck!
xx

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2014, 21:09 

Royal sun alliance
Lifetime cover
Vet fees £7,000 per year excess £65
Complementary £1,500
Loss from theft stray £1,500
Boarding fees £1,000
Holiday cancellation £3,000
Quarantine £1,500
Advertising and reward £1,000
Accidental damage £500
Death from accident £1,500
Death from illness £1,500

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2014, 16:27 

Oops should have said,I pay £27 a month :-)

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2014, 16:34 

We have animal friends - pay about £16 a month for very good cover. The excess is high at £150 though. I would always advise moneysupermarket - then call the company and haggle!

I get hundreds off insurance for cars, house, animal etc without compromising on policy. Lots also do an introductory one year offer .....

XX