The useless search function

If you have suggestions for features you would like to see on teh site, comments about the site or any bugs that you have spotted - please post here
MrsAdmin

The useless search function

Post by MrsAdmin » 23 Aug 2010, 22:47

Please can everyone who has ever attempted to use the rotten search function on here please post their problems with it so Mark knows why we are struggling. :twisted:

Anything I type in it comes up with 'too common words' or 'you cannot use search at this time'. It doesn't seem to matter what words are used, even obscure ones :roll: .

When we did the Dougal Awards in January it was a nightmare to find old threads or posts. It would be a shame to have to scrap the awards because people cannot find photos or posts they wish to nominate.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Liz!

Re: The useless search function

Post by Liz! » 23 Aug 2010, 23:11

Same problem here, whatever search I put in, even using the exact title of the thread, it says the words are too common, and even if I take out all the common words and just leave 'extemporaneous transcendentalism' (for example) it still tells me the words are too common. Which leads me to wonder exactly what words would be uncommon enough to work in a search.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 23 Aug 2010, 23:13

That's what I get too, "words too common". Until I checked it just now I haven't bothered to attempt the search for ages, it has never worked since I've been posting.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

baby_depardieu

Post by baby_depardieu » 24 Aug 2010, 07:52

same here.... always 'too common words'

x
The friendship of a dog is, without a doubt, more intense and more constant than that of man.~ Montaigne

jasperaliceuk

Post by jasperaliceuk » 24 Aug 2010, 08:20

DITTO

Sue

Check out Milo's tricks on http://www.youtube.com/jasperaliceuk

wellies

Post by wellies » 24 Aug 2010, 09:19

There are some settings for search in the Admin Control Panel (Mark?!), but the 'too common' response comes back so fast I don't believe it's even looking. I think either the search function is turned off or the time out is set for some amazingly short period (eg 1 second). I run one of these forums (same software) on www.okdinghy.co.uk, but it isn't anything like as big/busy as this forum. :mrgreen:
Dave
Leon and Sally: fast moving and heading for the horizon!

nikki79

Post by nikki79 » 24 Aug 2010, 09:57

I have this problem as well, i hate posting about things that must have been discussed in the past but have had little choice with the search function being so picky.

Nikki

KateW

Post by KateW » 24 Aug 2010, 11:21

Perhaps the problem is the sheer size and volume of posts on the site nowadays....It is frustrating and I haven't tried to use the search function for ages but just experimented by putting in Hip Dysplasia Poll, author Bid and was rewarded by "Nothing matches" and two other searches which were valid but prompted the response "too common words".

I tend to remember who the originator of a thread is and then look at their profile to search if I can't find a thread by looking at the subject category, ie Health. But this only works if you can also vaguely remember the approx date of the thread as most of us have a large number of pages to plough through :lol:

Katherine
ImageImage

bryanandhelen

Post by bryanandhelen » 24 Aug 2010, 12:29

Yep ... we've effectively given up due to the "too common ..." style response. However, a recent single word search worked fine ("diarrhea" unfortunately :( ) so perhaps it's only when we search on more than 1 word?

Bryan & Helen

mhayhurst
Site Admin

Post by mhayhurst » 24 Aug 2010, 14:35

I will kick off another re-index of the entire forum and hopefully that will fix or at least improve the results...

Regards,
Mark

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 24 Aug 2010, 15:02

Thanks very much Mark :P .

We are all such chatterboxes this Forum must be chock a block with words and images :lol: .

It does confirm that UKLA is a very valued Doodle forum, with people from all over the world logging on. Be great to be able to find previous information, especially when people have problems and need some help in a hurry.

Us oldies memories aren't what they were :oops:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Saramel

Post by Saramel » 24 Aug 2010, 20:34

I always get 'too common' so I was beginning to think that maybe I was!! :lol:

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH » 15 Nov 2010, 15:41

I believe the search index needs rebuilding again, as I cannot search at all!!
No matter what I look for, it always comes up with the following:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: service.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

pete

Post by pete » 26 Nov 2010, 21:26

mhayhurst wrote:I will kick off another re-index of the entire forum and hopefully that will fix or at least improve the results...

Regards,
Mark
I dont think it has worked Mark. Still getting too common a word.