Another dog - am I crazy???

This forum is for organising regional, informal meetings for owners, prospective owners, breeders etc
Coco and Annie

Another dog - am I crazy???

Post by Coco and Annie » 30 Sep 2014, 09:56

Hello all multi dog owners

A bit of background info........

I have a lovely 8 month old mini crazy labradoodle called Coco. She is the love of our lives. She can be quite hyper in an ultra frriendly way around other dogs and vistors. At home, she is well behaved inside, but is a little crazy in our large garden. Her recall is not reliable when she has distractions. Again, her lead work is good with no distractions, although when she sees another dog, it's another matter! I'm considering arranging 1-1 dog training to see if that helps.

Anyway, a friend of mine has the most gorgeous large cockapoo who Coco adores playing with. The same parents of my friends cockapoo are due for their very last litter early next year and I'm quite tempted to take the plunge into a two dog family.

There would be an 11 month age gap between the two dogs. Have I lost the plot and is it really advisable to wait until Coco is older and calms down?

Thank you for your invaluable and honest advice!

Annie and Coco

Bid

Re: Another dog - am I crazy???

Post by Bid » 30 Sep 2014, 21:00

I think 18 months between them is ideal, but lost of people do get a second dog earlier than that. The problem is the list of unresolved training issues that you have mentioned. A new pup will copy all those things so you would have to work hard over the next three months with Coco :D

Also, I don't want to alarm you ...... but you are just approaching the teenage phase with Coco :lol: :lol:

Of course a new pup could be a little angel :wink:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 30 Sep 2014, 22:04

Annie, I have an 8 month gap between Jessie and Dooley and they are the best of friends! :D :D

Having said that, Jessie had unresolved 'issues' when Dooley arrived here and, to be honest, she still
has them... but to a much lesser degree.

I am extremely lucky though, Dooley is such a good boy and loves to please us mere humans... he has
never liked being 'grumbled at' ... whereas Jessie is much more confident and can be very headstrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :D :D
ImageImage

ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 30 Sep 2014, 23:27

Coco and Annie,

Sometimes I think we can over-think things... I was due to have a brother for our lad and turned him down (because Ianto has HD and I thought we needed to have more time to get him settled). The new pup was exactly what I'd wanted (it broke my heart to see him go to another family :cry: )

Ianto's half-sister came to see us on her way to her new family, and when I saw them together I was so upset as they got on so well... I think it's in the lap of the Gods... If it feels right, I'd say go for it. Eight months is a difficult time but at eleven months, you'll have had time to work though any problems you may have had (especially if you know a new pup is on it's way!)

Anne & Ianto x

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 01 Oct 2014, 13:58

Thanks guys!

I think Coco's adolescent period has already started. She's become defiant, has selective hearing and memory loss for common commands such as 'come'!

As she had a season early at 7 months, when do you think this difficult phase might be over?

Many thanks
X

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 01 Oct 2014, 18:57

There's 18 months between Pixie and Jazz and in hindsight I should have waited another 6 months but in saying that the girls adore each other and now the youngster is 2 the chaos has largely calmed. I found that the older girl regressed into a second puppyhood and i felt like I had indeed got siblings and training, walking was very difficult.
wouldnt be without either of them though now !!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 01 Oct 2014, 20:55

Coco and Annie wrote:when do you think this difficult phase might be over?
Coco & Annie, By all accounts, probably about six....... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anne & Ianto x