Stiff back legs/hips

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
topdogjango

Stiff back legs/hips

Post by topdogjango » 22 Dec 2018, 17:08

Our 8 year old doodle often has stiffness late in the day .
But today his legs gave way for a very short time when he ran for a ball.

Is this common ?
What can we do ?

Clive

kobi&jazz

Re: Stiff back legs/hips

Post by kobi&jazz » 22 Dec 2018, 23:04

Hi my doodle will be 11 years old next month but has had stiffness in his back legs for the past 9 months. Glucosamine & Chrondroitin may help. Also Yumove is recommended for joints. These are natural products so may be worth a try. They will take a few month to build up in the system. I am sure my doodle isn't in pain as such, just uncomfortable when settling and rising. You will know your doodle best so if you are concerned or feel it maybe something more than 'age related' perhaps a trip to the vet?
All the best.

Pollydoodle

Re: Stiff back legs/hips

Post by Pollydoodle » 23 Dec 2018, 00:34

Agree with Kobi&Jazz, also if throwing the ball often and every day especially iftwisting and turning is real wear and tear on the joints., likely leading to stiffness . Look out for sitting askew too. Try some other games, hide and seek, throwing the ball to him rather than manic sliding on the grass etc. Try give a gentle massage after lots of ball throwing. Finally swim, hydrotherapy can be excellent and few mins of swim is far more tiring that. 30 mins of ball play.
My dood +10, is fixed on her ball but we have altered the ball play, so she and I run shorter bursts , my poor fitness!, with her carrying the ball already in mouth trying to keep her muzzle to my hand ( if that makes sense). It took a while to convince was fun too but seems to love it now.