Working out generations?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
kayald

Working out generations?

Post by kayald » 26 Mar 2006, 14:22

I need help in working out what generation Rufus is.

Both Parents and all Grandparents are labradoodles.

His Grandfathers (paternal side) Father and Mother were labradoodles.

His Grandmothers (paternal) Father and Mother were a Poodle and Lab.

His GrandFathers (maternal side) Father and Mother were a lab and Poodle.

His Grandmothers (maternal side) Father and Mother were labradoodles.

I think that this makes him fourth generation but not sure. Can anyone help. If you need me to clarify my confusing way of explaining it then I understand!

Thanks

Kay

Fiona

gereration

Post by Fiona » 26 Mar 2006, 18:02

:(
Last edited by Fiona on 09 Jul 2006, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

doodleadore

Post by doodleadore » 26 Mar 2006, 19:48

Ok, I'm still confused about working out the generations. Maths was never my strong subject and it looks like doodle gens are coming a close second to that :shock:

If I have a doodle that has a doodle mum and a poodle dad, what gen does that make my doodle :?:

Fiona

Post by Fiona » 27 Mar 2006, 22:12

:(
Last edited by Fiona on 09 Jul 2006, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 27 Mar 2006, 22:41

Hi actually your Doodle is a doodle cross to keep thje breed pure we must keep breeding labradoodle to Labradoodle (no inbreeding or line breeding as it is called) and no back croccing either to poodle or labrador please help us try and get this wonderful BREED RECOGNISED and try and get these people who are jumping on the band wagon to provide very curly pups to meet demand to see the eroor of there ways lovely as the pups are
DOODLE BREEDER FOR MANY YEARS HOPEING TO HAVE FOURTH GENERATION SOON.
STONECELLARS LABRADOODLES
Breeders of Standard English Labradoodles since 1999
DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

doodleadore

Post by doodleadore » 27 Mar 2006, 23:05

Thanks for that Fiona, much appreciated.

doodleadore

Post by doodleadore » 27 Mar 2006, 23:12

CAROL SHAW wrote:Hi actually your Doodle is a doodle cross to keep thje breed pure we must keep breeding labradoodle to Labradoodle (no inbreeding or line breeding as it is called) and no back croccing either to poodle or labrador please help us try and get this wonderful BREED RECOGNISED and try and get these people who are jumping on the band wagon to provide very curly pups to meet demand to see the eroor of there ways lovely as the pups are
Although I can see what you're saying here Carol, I'm not sure I agree entirely. My Labradoodle may not be a 'pure breed' but at the end of the day, she's still a much loved Labradoodle and her breeder isn't one of the latest to suddenly pop up out of nowhere. In actual fact, she was one of a second litter, the first being in 2004 I believe. Although that's only 2 years back, it's long before the fad of doodles hit the headlines.

tarquin

Post by tarquin » 29 Mar 2006, 17:36

Hi Carol

I see your going to have a fourth generation soon

How do you work that out then,really is so confusing

What 2 generations do you need .,,to make a fourth generation :roll:

Elbumble

Post by Elbumble » 29 Mar 2006, 19:21

Hi doodleadore. Fiona is right. Your doodle is an F1b... (f1) for 1st cross & (b) for backcross.

I don't think Carol was having a go about your dog, she was meaning in regards to breeding and I have to say I agree with her. I personally choose not to backcross & I too would like to get labradoodles recognised.
I'm sure your dog is lovely! :D

Tarquin: to get a 4th gen, Both parents would of course be labradoodles & one if not both of them would be a 3rd gen (neither will be lower in generation than this). I think this is right! :D

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 29 Mar 2006, 23:03

hi elbumble you work things out the same as me yes mum will be 3rd generation and dad is yet to be decided as she is not yet a year old.
DOODLE BREEDER FOR MANY YEARS HOPEING TO HAVE FOURTH GENERATION SOON.
STONECELLARS LABRADOODLES
Breeders of Standard English Labradoodles since 1999
DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

angela

Post by angela » 29 Mar 2006, 23:35

I have been going through lots of sites for labradoodles, American, and Australian, I know there is a difference. I am wanting to know what the coat will be like for a second generation! I have bought before knowing, which is no fault of the breeder as I dont think she knows herself. It would be nice to be able to get these facts before buying! I personaly dont care as I love all dogs, and wanted a different breed from my last two, I did not want to compare, as they were the best. It would be a good thing to know my mother suffers from chest problems, is hard of hearing and the Labradoodle would be a wonderful dog for her, if it is up to expectations

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 29 Mar 2006, 23:53

I think the coat type is very difficult to predict. I have 2 labradoodles, my first is a 2nd gen and he started off with a whispy coat which has gradually change to curly/shaggy, he does shed slightly and appears to be ok with certain allergy sufferers. My 2nd is a 1st gen with a course lab type coat, she sheds constantly, but has a kind of 'marcel wave', don't know about the allergy thing. I believe that any generation can throw back either way at any stage. However, the ones that turn out to be really curly usually have a distinct 'crushed velvet' look about them when they are quite small.

Having said the above, they both have absolutely fantastic temperments and this does appear to be a consistant factor throughout the breed.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 30 Mar 2006, 00:05

Even within a litter there can be a mix of coat types. If you need one to be anti-allergy it might be best to ask the breeder (providing they are experienced!) to pick out the pup with the most suitable coat for you and even be prepared to wait for other litters if their coats are more likely to be non-shedding. I know in Evie's litter (who is litter brother to Rufus-see above) there were a mixture of coat types, some shedding, some not.

tarquin

Post by tarquin » 30 Mar 2006, 00:58

tarquin wrote:Hi Carol

I see your going to have a fourth generation soon

How do you work that out then,really is so confusing

What 2 generations do you need .,,to make a fourth generation :roll:
Hi Carol noticed you posted
But not answered my Question

Do you know what gen your actually breeding.............4th you reckon

breeze

Post by breeze » 30 Mar 2006, 05:33

Interesting debate. I think I will get out the popcorn for this one :)