loss of hair

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Heartslady

loss of hair

Post by Heartslady » 11 Jun 2021, 14:38

I have an 11 year old F2 male who for the last 5 months has been loosing hair on his back (looks like a saddle across his hips), he also has very dry skin which is flakey. The vet has run numerous blood tests but they have not found anything and say it is alopecia . Does anyone have any idea or help.

The dark hair is where i have applied sun cream.

linny

Re: loss of hair

Post by linny » 16 Jun 2021, 15:16

At first I thought that this might be due to a thyroid problem but as your vet has already tested that's ruled out.
As for the hair loss, there was an equine hoof grease that also seemed to restore hair loss but I'm struggling to recall the product name. ....(Anna ,do you remember the product I'm rambling on about? )
I will do my best to kick start this aging brain and if and when I remember I'll get back to you.
I had a mare with a barbed wire tear and I remember rubbing the product into the scar and it did work.
Welcome to the site😊

linny

Post by linny » 18 Jun 2021, 00:27

The product is made by Carr day and something?
Cornucrescine hoof grease.

AnnaB

Post by AnnaB » 18 Jun 2021, 07:38

Hello Linny and Heartslady. Think you are right Linny - nasty sticky stuff though lol!! Was it Carr Day and Hewitt?? Or did the Hewitt come from something else 'something' Son and Hewitt?? I do hate how one's memory fades with time.
Sorry I cant help Heartslady, I will give it some thought in case something springs to mind. It does seem an odd place to develop a lack of hair. He isn't laying somewhere where his back is resting up against a surface that could have been cleaned or painted in something different? Just clutching to straws here. I hope you manage to find what is causing the problem. x

Noglet

Post by Noglet » 28 Jul 2021, 15:16

Hello,
Not sure if this is helpful, but our 8-year-old George has had seasonal alopecia a couple of times. Last time he had the saddle pattern as you describe. For him, being clipped by the groomer seemed to stimulate the regrowth. Our vet examined him, and was happy it was just seasonal and would resolve, and it did.
Sarah